10 mm/40 S&W

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pawncop

Blackhawk
Was at nearby gun show today and looked at a 10 mm/40 S&W Blackhawk. I have very limited knowledge about this combination so I am hoping members with experience would educate me.

I have been thinking about the 10 mm for a while, focusing on the Glock model 20.

Wondering if this combo would be better.

All information is appreciated.

rangerbob

Buckeye
pc, if the Blackhawk 10/40 was a mid frame model, I'd be all over it, but is the large frame Blackhawk. One might as well get the same gun in 41 magnum. I have 3 10mm's, a GP-100 Match Champion, a Glock M40 with Burris FF3 sight, and a Springfield XDM 4.5". I traded my G20 when the XDM appeared. The Blackhawk you are inquiring about has 2 cylinders, one for 10mm and the other for 40 S&W, which would allow a non-reloader to shoot the increasingly less expensive 40 ammo in lieu of the more expensive 10mm ammo. More and more 10mm ammo is becoming available, particularly from sources like PPU, S&B, Magtech, and Armscor to mention a few. The Blackhawk would be great for a reloader, as one should never loose any brass unlike the autoloaders. The 4.62" model would make a fine trail carry/holster gun. Due to its size and weight, recoil should not be a problem. My 2 cents worth! Bob!! 8)

contender

Ruger Guru
Well,,,, I have a GP-100 in 10mm Match Champion, a Blackhawk convertible 40S&W/10mm,,, and a Buckeye 38-40/10mm.
40 S&W brass is CHEAP!!!!!!!!!! Easy to load & fun to shoot. The 10mm is a heavier loading most often,, and I compare it to 38 spl./.357 mag.
I love the Blackhawk frame size & don't feel the need to use a mid frame to make this gun right. (I also have my share of 41 mag Blackhawks too.)

My GP was bought as a backup gun for my USPSA competition where I use a S&W model 646 in 40 S&W. Love it.
And what's NOT to love about a Buckeye?

Get one,,, as I said,, brass & ammo is cheap & available.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Everything contender said and more. This Blackhawk would be the most versatile gun on the planet if one could obtain a 38-40, 401 PowerMag, and a 40-44 Woodswalker extra cylinder for it. Might as well throw in the 10mm Magnum and not mention the 38-40 and 410 PM. Bob! 8)

5of7

Hunter
contender said:
Well,,,, I have a GP-100 in 10mm Match Champion, a Blackhawk convertible 40S&W/10mm,,, and a Buckeye 38-40/10mm.
40 S&W brass is CHEAP!!!!!!!!!! Easy to load & fun to shoot. The 10mm is a heavier loading most often,, and I compare it to 38 spl./.357 mag.
I love the Blackhawk frame size & don't feel the need to use a mid frame to make this gun right. (I also have my share of 41 mag Blackhawks too.)

My GP was bought as a backup gun for my USPSA competition where I use a S&W model 646 in 40 S&W. Love it.
And what's NOT to love about a Buckeye?

Get one,,, as I said,, brass & ammo is cheap & available.

I also have a 38-40/10MM Buckeye and have found that in the larger frame, shooting hand loaded ammunition, it comes in as a close second to the .41 Mg. Also, the shorter brass (compared to the .41 Mg.) lends itself to loading low power loads without losing the gilt edge accuracy that sometimes happens with cartridges like the .357 Mg. and the .41 Mg. I'm not too sure why this happens, but I suspect that loading density has something to do with it.

grobin

Blackhawk
I have the Ruger and a Glock 40. The Ruger is a lot of fun to shoot. Its more accurate than the Glock. The Glock 20 in 10mm is unplesant to shoot that's why I got the 40, originally for competition. The Glock 20 is easier than the 40 for DC but is uncomfortable to shoot much, the Ruger is much better to shoot than the 40 is. I have used the .40 cylinder only a little as I hoped to get .40 ammo cheap. I don't find it cheap enough to bother with as I have stared hand loading. IMHO the .40 isn't worth bothering with unless you have someone who is very recoil sensitive or a beginner, then it's a good starting caliber in the Ruger. For general work and light hunting the 10mm is fine (I took a large boar with mine at 50 yds), the .41 has advantages for handgun hunting but unless you do a lot has little use. The 38-40 is great for cowboy action but not really much else.

I also had the Blackhawk .40/10mm convertible. The gun was a great shooter, and extremely comfortable to shoot, but given my fondness for the Flattop frames, this full size Blackhawk was a tank for such a tiny little cartridge. So it went down the road to somebody that more appreciated the full size frame.

And for the record, I also tried a .38-40 cylinder in this gun. First time I've ever had a Blackhawk frame-and-cylinder not be compatible in size.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
I have a 4 inch S&W 610 with the blackpowder chamfer and round butt. Has the most intrinsic accuracy of any of my guns, automatics included. Love popping off 40 short and weaks in it.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I had been hoping Ruger would come out with one so when they did through Lipsey I bought one to go with my 357 I bought back in 76. Nice pistol but I could see a lot of the 40 S&W cylinders getting machined out to 10mm Mag. Granted only a couple of companies load for it now but Starline sells the brass.

I was happy enough with that one I bought one with the shorter barrel. It goes with my 357/9mm and not in the picture I also have a 45Colt/45ACP. Sort of fun to play with them all on the same day.

One reason I like the 10mm is I have a "few" 1911 variants in 10mm from Ruger, Colt, and DW.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Do you reload? If so you can make the 10mm do everything the 40 would do. If you don't reload the revolver makes with two cylinders makes sense as 40 ammo tends to be cheaper. You can get more trigger time for less money. The glock is nice in that you have much higher capacity should you need it. If you looking to really crankup to high end 10mm loads revolver would handle things better than the glock longterm.

I have a Glock 40 and hope to get a Springfield XDm in 10 mm shortly. I used to carry various revolvers for my woods gun. Not in big bear country just blacks wolves occasional cougar. Never had an issue but I always carry based on the possible threat. Really never seen a need for more than a mag full of hot 45 acp or 357.

Well in the last couple years a new threat has made me feel a need for more ammo and quick reloads. Which is why I got the Glock.Most of woods time is spent trout fishing middle of nowhere tiny creeks. Great fishing but also great water sources. In turn there has been lots of "gardeners" from south of the border setting up in the area. I have not encountered a grow myself yet. But feel much more comfortable with a higher capacity pistol. Glock is nice but the springfield fits my hand way better. The glock will become a dedicated hunting pistol the springfield will be my woods carry gun.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I recently converted 2 of my G20/40 magazines to 33 rounders using the Kriss conversion kit. When the weather and my schedule allow me to zero the FFIII red dot on my G40, I'll do some testing. Wait, I hear my Match champion and XDM calling, as well. Bob!! :mrgreen:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I see that S&W is reintroducing their M610 again with 4'(not 3 7/8 or 4.2") and 6.5" barrels. Bob! 8)

grumpy7159

Bearcat
I had the Glock 20 and it shot well after I dropped a KKN barrel in. The stock barrel does not support the entire shell casing and you get the Glock smile on your spent shells. A Redding die is made to resize the entire shell which removes the smile. I sold the Glock and now have a Willey Clapp GP100 in 10mm. It also shoots 40 S&W. Reloading both calibers is now a little bit easier and the firearm is a joy to shoot. The Blackhawk with two cylinders sounds like a great firearm to have. It is now on my wish list.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folks, I ordered one of these yesterday with the four inch tube. Never shot 10 mm before. Ordered 100 pieces of Sig brass and some Hornady slugs. I'll probably fire more .40 than 10. This will give me all the convertibles (That I know of) outside the Buckeyes. .22/ .357/ .40/ .45. I'm looking forward to this new addition- Dave