flashlight and rail for GP 100 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Hi all,
I was thinking a flashlight on my GP 100 would be a good idea (am not interested in a laser). I came across a web site called Railtac which sells a Picatinny rail that can be applied to the GP. Does anybody have any experience with this product? I don't really know anything about Picatinny rails; are there a number of flashlight options for this Railtac version? Thank you!

recumbent

Buckeye
I have never heard of them before. I went to their web site and checked them out.
The rail epoxies to the pistol.
I have mixed emotions about that.

I think I would just hold the flashlight in my none trigger hand.

The flashlight options would be any light that will attach to a Picatinny rail. The Crimson Trace Rail Master light (CMR-202) is an example. It is a nice small, BRIGHT, light that would clamp right on. I'm sure most of the "name" light companies probably make rail lights for Picatinny rails.

I checked Railtac out also and I'm ehh about the mounting. I did read how to remove it so it might be ok. I just never thought about mounting a light on a revolver but different strokes for different folks. I just don't know if you'll find an off the shelf holster for it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
s4s4u said:
I think I would just hold the flashlight in my non- trigger hand.
I second that notion.
What, no tactical GP-100's for you guys? :mrgreen:

I have no experience with rails at all but perhaps you could get more info from the semi-auto section of the forum. The one thing that bothers me is the fact that when using the tac-light you have to point the gun where you are shining the light. If you find something you don't want to shoot that might scare the heck out of them.

contender

Ruger Guru
One big reason many don't want a rail or anything under the barrel of a revolver is the burning gasses & powder expelling from around the cylinder when shooting. Messy, dirty to clean, and could damage stuff.
And the subject of pointing a light at something while it's on a gun has been a serious discussion for as long as lights have been put on firearms.

Gun Safety Rule; "Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy."

The arguments are that in the home, you SHOULD know where are the people/things you do NOT want to destroy are. But accidents & mistakes have happened. Daughter slipping in late at night when she wasn't supposed to be out at all. Shot & killed.
Same thing with a son.

Many, many self defense classes teach how to use a light when checking out the unknown. All w/o a mounted light.
And as we all know,,, many semi-auto handguns have rails & lights, as do rifles & shotguns.

The choice of adding & using a light is a personal preference.
But I'd seriously hesitate about putting one on a revolver, simply because of the cylinder gasses.

grobin

Blackhawk
Two other considerations: how to turn the light on & tactical lights are heavy.
For a light the best I have found is the
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BBWU7QI/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's bright enough to incapicate.
I have an auxiliary pistol grip with light and laser on my KSG. My offhand controls them. My experience is that the trigger/manual integrated switches don't work well.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Do you want to point a gun at someone's face to see it in the dark? Oh, good evening officer, thanks for coming.

WestTex

Single-Sixer
I think most will disagree, and that is ok.

But I think rails should be reserved for trains to travel on- not for anything having to do with a pistol.

Yes, I am old. :(

Old RugerFan

Bearcat
It is certainly a matter of personal preference, and if you put a weapon-mounted light on a handgun, you should understand how to use it without violating Rule 2 about not pointing a gun at anything yo are not willing to destroy. This is why you should use one of the high lumen lights such as those from Olight, SureFire, Streamlight, etc. They can be used very effectively to identify a potential target WITHOUT pointing the gun at the subject, should it indeed turn out to be a friendly such as one of children/grandchildren. The illumination area from these high output lights will "splash" enough light to positively I.D. a person without shining it directly into their face or body.

The point about the hot gasses from the front of the cylinder certainly makes sense, and if you choose to use a handheld light instead, make sure you keep your hand behind the front of the cylinder as well! The Harries Technique, Rogers/SureFire Technique, or Neck Index Technique will all keep your support hand safely behind the front of the cylinder if you do them correctly.

S&W made the M&P R8 .357 that came from the factory with a bottom and top rail; it looks pretty cool, but I've never used one. Perhaps someone who has used one could offer some insight?

One argument for using a WML is that it frees the support hand for other tasks such as mag changes, leading a loved one out of harm's way, calling 911, opening a door, etc. Many folks use both a WML and a hand held light effectively; either way you should train/practice (unloaded gun) to become proficient with your chosen method.

To each his own!

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'm a big believer in mounted lights and consider most the arguments against them to be nonsensical. Especially considering that if you watch any professional clear a house, their rifle is pointed where they look. It's only AFTER the non-threat is identified that the muzzle is lowered or pointed elsewhere. So the idea that I shouldn't be pointed a weapon mounted light all through my house, when I know where my wife is, is a little silly. It's all about trigger control, if you can't point at something without pulling the trigger, you shouldn't own firearms.

IMHO, mounted lights are much better suited to semi-autos and it has little to do with gases on the light itself but the operator's hand. Any solution that I'm aware of will require you to turn it on, in other words, not using the momentary switch. Such as this Streamlight, it has double levers on either side of the triggerguard and can be operated with either hand while in the firing position. They're not going to line up there on a revolver. If you use a tapeswitch, then it's just turned on when you grip it and there's no way to turn it off other than loosening your grip. Not the best solution.

IMG_8837b.jpg

Latest posts