NM 30 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

elmo123

Bearcat
Hello,
I have a question for those of you that are using 32-20 brass in your 30 carbine NM Blackhawk revolvers.

I fired several older factory loads in my revolver and the case mouths were curled inward as if they were too long. I just received several hundred new Starline cases and was wondering if I should trim them before loading them and firing them or should I just load the and fire them as they are?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

rangerbob

Buckeye
I don't have that revolver at present, but am seriously considering one as I load both 30 Carbine and 32-20. Like you, I would be using Starline 32-20 brass, as well. I would try this, remove the cylinder and insert a new (resized or at least neck sized) brass into each chamber. If they go all the way in and the rims bottom out with out resistance, I would say that they don't need trimming. If they don't enter all the way, it's the case mouth bumping up against the 30 carbine headspacing shoulder at the end of the chamber. Then trim until they enter with no resistance. That would be your trim length for your revolver. I'm sure others will chime in with more knowledge than I, but that's my 2 cents worth. Bob! :wink:

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
I have had a very nice 7 1/2 inch barreled, 30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawk for many years. Yes it is loud. But it is very accurate and because of the low recoil it is very comfortable to shoot and I always wear good ear protection while shooting it. I also have a nice US Military M1 30 Carbine as well and I shoot them both of them quite often. And I reload for both of them. However I have never even thought of trying to shoot 32-20 ammo thru my 30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawk. Why, would I want to do that. Am I missing something here. I have never had any real problems finding 30 Carbine ammo, brass or reloading components for reloading. What am I not seeing, about wanting to shoot 32-20 ammo thru a 30 Carbine Ruger Blackhawk.
ken

contender

Ruger Guru
First, if you are concerned about length,, what do your reloading manuals say about the case OAL? If in doubt, trim to that length.

cpt-t,, only the NM 30 Carbine Blackhawks will accept the 32-20 cases. Not the OM's. But,, due to the rimmed case, the similar ballistics, and ease of reloading the 32-20,,, many do enjoy this direction.

rangerbob

Buckeye
While one may have a 30 M1 as a companion piece, others that shoot 32-20's may have an lever action rifle in that caliber as a companion long gun. Besides, rimmed rounds stay in cartridge belt loops better than rimless ones to use as one's holster rig. To each, his own. Bob!! 8)

Latest posts