Revolver Abuse

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just thought I would share a couple of pics I took at a local Gun Shop/Gun Smith. If I remember correctly the S&W was a 586 and the Ruger was a Security Six. It seems they both suffered from similar abuse, being force fed more copper and lead than they could handle. It looks like the Ruger came out in a little bit better shape at the end of the abuse. I asked the gun smith why he didn't just drill and punch out the Ruger barrel. He said he was planning to until he noticed a slight bulge in the barrel that would have made it useless.

Cholo

Staff member
Good grief! How can someone do that and not know something was wrong beforehand? Not a 586, they had a full lug barrel. No matter at that point :)

bogus bill

Hunter
I have seen it before. Someone brought in a smith & wesson old M&P to my gunsmith friend that was filled with something like 8 bullets stuck in the barrel. You would have thought the person would have got a clue! Amazenly, the gun wasn't ruined!

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
Not a 586, they had a full lug barrel.
Looks like a 8 3/8" barrel from a Model 27. And it could STILL be made into a functional barrel of somewhere between 3.5 and maybe as much as 5 inches (unless it too is bulged somewhere that's not apparent).

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
As Snake45 says, first barrel looks like a Model 27, burst from a squib or other obstruction hit by a magnum. Second barrel looks like a Blackhawk, the first shot a squib, with the rest of the cylinder fired behind it.

In each case, however much the shooter paid attention, it wasn't enough.
David Bradshaw

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Thx for the photos, I've seen the like too many times. I just cringe to think those people probably vote.

Just FYI, the Ruger barrel is not a Security Six, it's a Single Action Blackhawk. Looks like it didn't bulge until the last shot.

bogus bill said:
I have seen it before. Someone brought in a smith & wesson old M&P to my gunsmith friend that was filled with something like 8 bullets stuck in the barrel. You would have thought the person would have got a clue! Amazingly, the gun wasn't ruined!
I am surprised the person holding it was not ruined. How do you NOT know something is wrong?

hittman

Staff member
You can bet the shooter of THIS one knew something was "amiss" pretty quick. :lol:

9A5EfTIh.jpg

... and another example ...

wMYqnv0h.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
Thumbcocker said:
Loading manuals are for sissys
Such catastrophic failures are usually the result of a handloading error, rather than loading overly heavy. Usually a double or triple charge of fast powder that went undetected.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I am firmly convinced that if many people knew what was going on inside of a gun when they squeezed the trigger... they never would!!! :)

huskerbob

Bearcat
Not a Ruger but looks like careless folks don't limit themselves to just one brand.

Here's a First Generation Colt S.A.A. I found at a gun show this past weekend.

Pretty sure it's going to reduce the value of what was about a $2,800 revolver...................unless it'll buff out.

lcFMmI5.jpg

Sugar River

Buckeye
AJGUNNER said:

The first time I was in the Newport plant, in '85, the double action repair guy had a 6" Sec. Six on the wall that looked like the above pic. 5 rounds fired behind a stuck squib. The gun was otherwise undamaged.

He also had about a dozen Six series revolvers that had been sent in for service, but the owners had forgotten one small detail.................
any indication of a name, return address or phone number. :roll:

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I wish I had pictures for this one.
A customer purchased a reproduction Remington cap and ball revolver on a Friday. On Monday he returned with the same revolver - missing the top strap and top three chambers. He wanted a refund. He claimed it had just exploded. The gunsmith pulled one of the balls from an intact chamber and brought the powder out to show the customer. It was a smokeless flake powder with red dots in it - roughly 40 grains worth. At that point the customer confessed. He did not have any black powder and could not wait to buy some. So he cut open some shotgun shells...
The remarkable thing about this was that the gun had fired the first load, misfired on the second and fired the third. The customer recapped the second chamber and fired it and that is when it exploded. :shock:

Wow---while we are on the subject this one came up.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/03/11/hi-point-barrel-contained-35-bullets-didnt-explode/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2019-03-12&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Snake45

Hawkeye
Uncle Howie said:
hittman said:
You can bet the shooter of THIS one knew something was "amiss" pretty quick. :lol:

9A5EfTIh.jpg

Yep!

One of my Dad's favorite sayings was, "I'll bet you noticed right away!" :p
One of mine's favorites was, "You learn something new every day if you're not careful." Would seem to apply here. :lol:

Snake45

Hawkeye
charlesappel said:
At that point the customer confessed. He did not have any black powder and could not wait to buy some. So he cut open some shotgun shells...
Sounds like the time (I was about 12) I was fixing up or "tuning" one of my slot cars in my bedroom, and didn't want to go all the way down to the basement where the track (12V DC) was to test it. So I just stuck the pickups in the wall socket....

ALL I did was blow the circuit breaker on the whole back half of the house. I was lucky--could have burned the house down or electrocuted my stupid young self. I flipped the circuit breaker back on and never said a word about it.... :?