Ruger OM Roundbutt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunHawk

Single-Sixer
I have an OM .45 Colt, .45 ACP that I want to round butt the grip frame. Bought a second XR3-RED grip frame and before I go chopping on it does anyone have a template that suggests how much to take off? Am considering should I take some off the front horn as well. Pictures or any suggestions would be nice. Thanks Brad

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I can make a template from mine that would give you a guide. As far as the front strap, I discussed that at the time when mine was roundbutted and decided to leave the front strap alone. I still don't know if that was the right choice.

I'd do the rear part first and then see how the gun feels/shoots for you. IMHO you need the lower front part to remain "stock" to allow you all the finger grip you can get when firing.

Those OM XR3-RED grip frames are becoming more difficult to find, and more costly as a result.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Seems to me it would be easier to buy a round butt grip frame for a New Model. Then make the adapter for the trigger spring.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
GunHawk,

Have you ever shot a Ruger with a rd butt grip? I'd suggest you do that first, especially in 45.

I found that the rd butt caused the gun to revolve horizontally under recoil. Follow up shots are difficult and re-gripping the gun is needed after each shot.

However if you decide to proceed:

Bob's idea will save you an awful lot of work! For one thing, rd butting the standard grip frame requires welding to get any real rd butt shape. OM ally grip frames pose another issue.

For shape considerations at least consider the Ruger Birdshead. If you know someone that has one, trace one of the grips and overlay on your standard grip frame.

The only birdshead I like at all is the original Colt Model 1877 DA Lightning shape that Cimmarron produces, but only on a .22.

Here's a single six I converted. If you're interested I can share details on how I did it since the Cimmarron will not bolt up to a Ruger main frame. The grip frame has not been fitted to the grips yet:

standard.jpg

Since there is no "standard" round butt dimensions or geometry for a Blackhawk, I just de-horn my gripframes. It's not a full round-butt treatment, but it sure does make both shooting and carrying more comfortable.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
Since there is no "standard" round butt dimensions or geometry for a Blackhawk, I just de-horn my gripframes. It's not a full round-butt treatment, but it sure does make both shooting and carrying more comfortable.

That's nice!

The Ruger Birdshead grip is one 'standard' shape and size for all model Rugers, including the Bkackhawk and Single Six frames.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The term "roundbutt" is usually referring to something like I pictured above. A birdshead is a birdshead.