'71 3 screw value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41magnum

Bearcat
Hi guys
I need a value on Dads 6.5" .357 Blackhawk made in '71, NOT converted to transfer bar
It has the orig grips plus a pr of custom staghorn
Bluing is mint, like the bore, only blue missing is from drag marks from the bolt on the cylinder.
Pretty sure I have the box too!
NOT SURE if its a flat top, since I do not know what to look for!
many thanx
Trapper John

contender

Ruger Guru
The gun by itself,, is not a Flattop, as they were the earlier version,, and after 1963, they were no longer built.
So, a Blackhawk 357 with a 6.5" bbl, in excellent condition, (w/o turn line or other blemishes,) Around $450. With the turn ring,, deduct some.
The box,, should be a 2 piece, yellow & black, with "BKH-36" as the model, in excellent condition, around $100.
The stags,, by themselves, depending on what material, (Sambar, Elk etc,) can run $200-$300 but pictures are a must.

41magnum

Bearcat
Contender I took pix but I cant find how to post pics from our 'puter.
It wants a URL and I don't know what that is, we don't use a host site for pix.
There is no "manage attachments" button like on other sites.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
A Flattop literally has a flat top strap including around the sight's front tang.

orig.jpg

This has the ribbed top strap like yours:

large.jpg

contender said:
The gun by itself,, is not a Flattop, as they were the earlier version,, and after 1963, they were no longer built.
So, a Blackhawk 357 with a 6.5" bbl, in excellent condition, (w/o turn line or other blemishes,) Around $450. With the turn ring,, deduct some.
The box,, should be a 2 piece, yellow & black, with "BKH-36" as the model, in excellent condition, around $100.
The stags,, by themselves, depending on what material, (Sambar, Elk etc,) can run $200-$300 but pictures are a must.

Wow Cheap no way you could buy an old model Blackhawk around here for that!
Gotta go south to get the deals I guess. ps

contender

Ruger Guru
Powder smoke, I have seen several OM 357's sell right here on this Forum For $450 to a friend of mine, and a few others. Plus,,, the RENE Guide lists them in that range. I'm actually on the phone with my friend right now that bought 3 off this Forum for $450 or less, and they were short barrelled ones to boot.

dixie cat

Bearcat
l5Cp0okl.jpg
I traded a uberti SA 45 for this 1973 last year 3 screw in 357 mag. I figured I could get a uberti anytime but 3 screws are getting harder to find. I walked into a pawn shop about 8 mounts ago and there was a real nice super blackhawk 3 screw 7 1/2 in. barrel. I brought it home for a song. a friend of mine wanted it and I don't like long barrels so it is now his.

I agree with 'contender',same pricing around here NE Ohio for the basic ,old model Blackhawks......and the same goes for the box............rule of thumb usually is OM in the basic configuration $450, box, add $100 and if a convertible add another $100....of course, if a complete "package" gun,box and shipper ,better yet, add premiums for "as new in the box", LOW numbers, any special markings,etc and the price goes up....also gotta figure in the "pucker factor" when someone has the consecutive numbers before or after, then they "gotta have it"...in your case, the grips may be a "sleeper" until you find out the material they are made of,,,there are "faux" stags and ivory out there. 8) :roll: :wink:

contender said:
Powder smoke, I have seen several OM 357's sell right here on this Forum For $450 to a friend of mine, and a few others. Plus,,, the RENE Guide lists them in that range. I'm actually on the phone with my friend right now that bought 3 off this Forum for $450 or less, and they were short barrelled ones to boot.

Nice! gonna have to start paying more attention! need a 357. ps

contender

Ruger Guru
:D
Danny & I were talking as I read your reply, and wrote my reply. We discussed how he had been wanting 3 of them to leave each of his kids one. We started watching things, and since he's not a member here,, each time one came up, I'd call him and he'd buy it. I'd put the two folks together.

Watch the classifieds,, one will pop up.

But to me,, it's a sad thing to see them sell for around the $450 mark. A NM costs as much if not more, and to most of us,, a sweet feeling OM is a better gun. The 357's were made in such quantity,, that they are probably the most abundant model available.

Now,,,, rarer variations,,, or a NIB example,,, etc can be a bit more for sure,, as they are getting harder to locate.