After 25 yrs of Ruger collecting, first Flat Top-pics added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9mmTed

Bearcat
Down by the Green River where Paradise Lay, Kentuc
It's took a while, but my first Flat Top should show up next week at my FFL. I purchased a 1957 model, 357, 4 5/8 on Gunbroker that I can't wait to decipher. Based on the photos, it has a lot of the transitional features, some Type 1, some Type 2, but missing the original grips. That should keep me busy for a bit.

It seems odd to me now that I'm just buying something I've always wanted. My collection has mainly been centered on Mark 1 Targets and older standards, and new model Blackhawks (mostly Bisleys). Throw in a Single Six for good measure. 2019 has been a good year so far, with a Red Eagle Mark 1 and now a 357 Flat Top. Since I couldn't celebrate this with my wife, I thought i'd put it out here.

Carry on.

contender

Ruger Guru
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

I got hooked on Rugers as a teenager. I couldn't afford much for many years,, but I did manage a few Rugers as time went on. At the tender age of 17, I fired a Hawkeye,, and always wanted one. It took me 35 years to get my first one.
Gotta love collecting!

9mmTed

Bearcat
I fired my first Super Blackhawk at 19 years old, which belonged to a college buddy. Some 30 years later, he traded it to me. Seems another good friend had wanted it, and had the 7 1/2 barrel cut down to 5, and new sights installed. Simply put, accuracy sufferred, big time, and he lost interest. So, I found a 7 1/2 barrel and had my local gunsmith re-barrel it, and it shot like a champ again. Last summer we were shooting at his farm, and I could see that spark in his eye, and he loved everything I had done to it. When I left, I told him the gun should be with him, and he was tickled to get her back. I've read other posts here recently about guns finding their way home, and I've seen it first-hand. It's a special thing.

BTW, when I saw him over Christmas he gifted me with a 1952 Ruger Standard, so we're even again.

9mmTed

Bearcat
I guess maybe this is a cautionary tale now. I received my flat top last week and immediately noticed something looked odd. I pulled the grips off, and low and behold... XR3-RED. Without going into a lot of detail, I contacted the seller, and he honestly had no idea, as he was selling his deceased father's items. He offered a refund, and I told him I'd sleep on it. When we spoke last Thursday, I told him I kept putting myself in his place, and felt the right thing for me was to just keep it and move on. He promised if he ran across parts they would be forwarded my way. So, I guess I have 1/2 of a 1957 flat top.

I have to say, it did give me something to look for at the gun show this weekend. I've looked at lots of customs on here, and may go down that road eventually. For now, I think i'll just try to find an acceptable XR3 frame and a decent set of grips and make this as original as I can. The gun shoot fine, so I have something to work with.

Live and learn.

Now the good news- I picked up a 1997-vintage stainless Bisley 45 colt with 4 5/8 bbl at the show, looks like new with some trigger work and a free-spin pawl installed. Very nice gun, and will make the next range trip with me.

contender

Ruger Guru
Luckily, you can restore it to it's original configuration by the addition of a different g/f & grips. That kind of stuff is done a lot,, swapping g/f's & all.
Maybe the seller could help you afford a correct g/f & grips a bit? (A g/f & grips will cost about $175 to get a nice set. But the current g/f & grips it wears will also be worth something, all depending on condition.)

9mmTed

Bearcat
I had considered asking the seller, and we had a good discussion, and he had no idea what I was talking about for the most part. After listening to what he said and sleeping on it, I couldn't ask him for more and told him we were good. His dad passed away recently, and he and his sister had divided up things to sell to raise money to pay bills. I'll keep telling myself I got a good deal, and I will find a g/f and grips to match the condition of this ol' worn revolver. I did shoot her this weekend, and she feels really good with my 38 reloads.

contender

Ruger Guru
Understood.
As noted,, a changing of the g/f & grips isn't a big deal. If you carefully shop around, you can find a g/f & grips,, for a reasonable price, swap them out, and sell the current ones to help cover your expanse. Or, you can keep the later parts, and maybe use them elsewhere!

9mmTed

Bearcat
There's a forum member here trying to help me do just that as we speak. I'm just trying to wrap my head around where I want to take it. Were walnut grips original to the 1957, or were they still black rubber at that point? I spent most of last night looking at what folks have posted on here, and it appears most folks (like Hondo and Bob Wrights, and others) go mostly with what they like, and don't get hung up on how they left Bill Ruger's factory. I guess right now I lean more toward originality, but if I had a pocket full of money I wouldn't hesitate to build one of those beautiful custom guns with stag grips and case-colored frame.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
The change to walnut grips on the 357 Blackhawks occurred around SN 25000 give or take. A 1957 Flattop should have been shipped with hard rubber grips. Walnut grips are correct for a 1957 44 mag Flattop and there is always a chance a gun shop could have changed them back then to make a sale.
Since your gun has the XR3- red gripframe it probably has been replaced by a previous owner. There is also a slim chance that it shipped late from the factory after 1962 and then those parts would be correct.

9mmTed

Bearcat
That's good information, and agrees with what I've read elsewhere. I have a factory letter on the way someday, so we'll see when it left the factory, but I'd have a hard time believing it stuck around the factory for 5 years before shipping. I have a grip frame and correct rubber grips headed my way shortly, as soon as my money order can make it to California. I'll keep the other grip frame around just in case I find out something really weird happened.

Sounds like you're having fun.

Once you get your XR3 grip frame you will be able to use either the black plastic panels or the walnuts as you see fit on any particular day. Many folks swapped out to the walnuts for one reason or another, so whatever you feel like doing is all good.

:mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

nvbirdman said:
My 357 flattop has walnut grips. I don't know the year it was made, but the serial number is 40***.

That gun almost certainly shipped in 1961.

The last .357 Flattop was 42689, but its configuration and location are currently unknown. A few of the very late ones (1962) were shipped with XR3-RED grip frames.

:mrgreen:

9mmTed

Bearcat
If I find that's the case, I still have the XR3-RED frame here. I'm guessing that's why someone at some point swapped this one. I just started reading Ruger and His Guns, and fell asleep about 1/2 way through the section where they're bringing out the single sixes. I should be reading about flat tops this weekend.

9mmTed

Bearcat
Well, this is my first attempt at posting pics here, but here is the final product after adding the original grip frame and grips from Jussbad. Many thanks to Gary for his help and advice. I am very happy with the results.

lyMUq34.jpg

gNuLFxO.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
For whatever its worth, my 1958 vintage Flat Top Blackhawk came with the black plastic grips, and the walnut grips were an additional $5.00 added on, total price with walnut and California sales tax was $96.50.

Same gun, some 60 years and 18,000 rounds later. All steel XR-3RED grip frame and ejector housing, case hardening by Doug Turnbull. These are the very first mesquite grips CaryC ever made.

I bought the gun while at Camp Roberts, California, from a sporting goods store in Paso Robles.

Bob Wright