Finally grips for my service six and lcr 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
I have been going through a ton of various grips lately to find a grip that I can shoot my service six comfortably.
Hogue rubber not my cup if tea. Still felt sting in web if hand.

Pachmayr presentation to big and gun slipped in hand under recoil causing constant readjustment of grip

Rangerfield grips the worst. Like having no grips at all.

Old school OEM grips ok for a couple rounds then ouch.

Found a set of wood grips comfortable but they slip as well. If I rough up the back and finger area they may be good to go.

20190211-095547.jpg

The best for me is the pachmayr gripper grips. They dont look pretty but man do they work.

Went through 50 rounds 357 full house loads no slipping no discomfort at all. Superb grips.
They are going to be my go to grips for this six.
Now I dont have to consider the gpf-340c.
I am glad as I really like the police service six.

Recently picked up the lcr 9mm but wanted boot grips for greater consealability. Just tried the hogue boot grip for the lcr. Fantastic even better than the stock grip.

Initially I went to high grip felt some sting in hand and thought oh brother here we go again.

The I looked at the back of the grip and it has a few little ridges in and oblong circle. I noticed that that was a kind of locator for the sweet spot of maximum cushioning.

I adjusted my grip down a bit and all is good 100 9mm rounds no discomfort at all.

You would think it would be hard to hold on to and control but actually it us much easier.
It seems with a high grip the rear round portion of the frame comes back into the hand with force under recoil.
A slightly lower grip allows the gun to roll naturally without any bite. The gun comes back on target very quickly. You hardly notice it but your hand does.
It's like letting the gun work. This also gave me much better groups.

At any rate I couldn't be happier with both guns.

hittman

Staff member
I bought boot grips for my LCR too. Think they came from Ruger's web site but they look exactly like yours. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love how they conceal and HATE shooting with them on. They punish my hand but, it's not a range gun either.

I put these on a couple of my Six series double actions. Got them at Numrich.

87nG4zSh.jpg

All my other Six series fit me great with a Tyler T.

hbxT5beh.jpg

Here's a copy of an old Ruger advertisement showing similar grips.

q5xvSpKh.jpg

silverback

Blackhawk
It does seem counter intuitive not to have a high grip on the boot grips but lowering the placement of the web of my hand made all the difference I the world.

Those are nice grips on your six's but for me shooting 357's became uncomfortable. The pachmayr gripper grips make shooting them a none issue. Not as pretty but a whole lot more fun at the range.

I can't seem to not get the hang of not doing a high grip on anything. Even Single Actions. Everything get's a high grip. Just doesn't feel right other wise. I just won a bid on a LCR 9mm so I have to send the money and an FFL and wait for the gun, we'll have to see how it goes.