30- carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
$450-$600 here..IF you can find one for sale.
: The WantFactor will add $100: it did in my case, as I don't shop online, only F2F and I Wanted IT, and IT was laying on my tailgate Wanting to go home with me, $550 later me and the new '70 / .30cal shooter were riding down the road.

hittman

Staff member
In suspect in many places a very nice non prefix 30 Carbine would be considered CHEAP at $530.00.

Even without a box but especially if it were even a 4 digit gun.

DWL

Bearcat
I paid $455 a year ago for a OM .30 carbine. Unconverted in very good condition.

One of the only SA Rugers I prefer in New Model configuration since they can shoot .32-20s perfectly right out of the box. Mine has only fired one box of .30 carbine ctgs. Just my preference....But many of us, I suspect would rather have a "pair'" that included an '85 or '92 Win or '94 Marlin instead of an M-1 carbine with a Blackhawk.

Bell Swamp

Bearcat
Mike Armstrong said:
One of the only SA Rugers I prefer in New Model configuration since they can shoot .32-20s perfectly right out of the box.

I was wondering about that. I know 32/20 rounds fits very nicely in the chambers but have hesitated to try shooting them. I would shoot mine a lot more often if it is OK. I never have been particularly fond of single action revolvers that shoot rimless cartridges.

Bell Swamp said:
Mike Armstrong said:
One of the only SA Rugers I prefer in New Model configuration since they can shoot .32-20s perfectly right out of the box.

I was wondering about that. I know 32/20 rounds fits very nicely in the chambers but have hesitated to try shooting them. I would shoot mine a lot more often if it is OK. I never have been particularly fond of single action revolvers that shoot rimless cartridges.

Yeah, this is one area where us Old Model fans kinda envy you New Model folks. Our Old Models don't have enough headspace to allow the use of the .32-20 ammo. :cry:

veeman

Single-Sixer
Mill the cylinder face flat, to remove the recesses, therefore allowing room for the rims of 32-20 brass.

Acorn

Buckeye
I have a .30 NM. I've heard of shooting loading .32-20 brass for it but never heard exactly what all is involved. Trimming, fire forming?

veeman said:
Mill the cylinder face flat, to remove the recesses, therefore allowing room for the rims of 32-20 brass.

I dug out my Old Model. There's no "recesses" on the back face of the cylinder, just the "firing pin groove". The .30 Carbine ammo fits essentially flush with the back face of the cylinder. Ammo for .32-20 will drop into the cylinder and stop on the rim. You/d have to machine off about the thickness of the .32-20 rim all around the rear face of the cylinder to allow that ammo to seat deeper and clear the recoil shield when the cylinder revolves. Or you could counterbore each chamber to create a recess for the rim of each cartridge. Either way, when you then went back to .30 Carbine ammo, the cases would stick out the back of the cylinder by however much you removed from the cylinder face. Don't know if that's a problem or not. There is, of course, the potential hassle of running .312" bullets thru a .308" bore.

sixshot

Buckeye
That sure seems like a lot of work, just to ruin an old model. Just get a new model to begin with, yes you have to trim the brass a bit, I'd have to go look to see how much I trim but it isn't much. As far as using .312" bullets, I actually shoot .313" bullets in my new model 30 carbine with great success & fine accuracy. I reload with 32/20 Redding dies.

Dick

veeman

Single-Sixer
I only have the NM, so it's not an issue for me. But yes, one would have to mill the entire cylinder flat to use rimmed cases. I would never do it myself.