30- carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Muley Gil said:
Wouldn't it easier to fit a New Model cylinder to the Old Model .30 Carbine, if you really wanted to shoot .32-20s through it?

Possibly, but it would require investigation to see if such a swap is easily accomplished. It can be tricky enough to install a randomly-acquired Old Model cylinder into an Old Model gun. Each instance can be a "drop in" or fraught with problems. And just because one swap works out does not mean the next one will.

Bell Swamp

Bearcat
I tried shooting 32/20 ammo out of mine yesterday. It worked well. I have been tinkering at my loading bench working on a load just for the revolver using a bunch of lead bullets that I got for my carbines but decided not to use out of fear that they might clog the gas system. I tried using 30 Carbine dies but found that the 32/20 cases have such thin walls that the 30 Carbine die does not size it down enough. I wound up using the 32/20 sizing die and the 30 Carbine expander plug to get good neck tension on the bullets. I think I am going to have fun with that revolver.

sixshot said:
That sure seems like a lot of work, just to ruin an old model. Just get a new model to begin with, yes you have to trim the brass a bit, I'd have to go look to see how much I trim but it isn't much. As far as using .312" bullets, I actually shoot .313" bullets in my new model 30 carbine with great success & fine accuracy. I reload with 32/20 Redding dies.

Dick

Dick, are you using lead or jacketed bullets?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Very clean OM just sold at a LGS for 679.+tax. Four-digit, orig box. Un-molested.

Customer saw it and couldn't pull out cash fast enough.

For the record, I'll stick with the chambering stamped on the gun.

IMHO, there's a difference between "ruining an Old Model" and "resurrecting a basket case". I'd not favor customizing a perfectly good original Flattop, but given access to a real "beater" of any Old Model I'd not think it sacrilegious to consider bringing it back to life in a slick, personalized form.

That said . . . your gun, your money, your choice.

:)

Hammer, trigger, pawl, bolt, bolt spring, base pin, and actually the little trigger return spring but you can get by with he conversion spring if you can't find one (very little difference in pull weight). You can likely find them or request them in the Classified forum.

If you can't find a base pin you can use the conversion one by removing the little spring plunger thingie.

:)