44 Alaskan Night Sights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wb292

Bearcat
I originally used a XS sight systems big dot front sight for a 45LC Alaskan. Along with a Meprolight rear. This worked ok but I had to move the rear sight up pretty high. So I decided to lower it. I Put the front sight in my milling machine and milled it down .125 This put the rear sight pretty close to the middle. After about 800 rounds my POI started to drop. I found the front sight had started to lift up out of the barrel. XS drilled a small hole up the middle if the tang that mounts into the barrel. So when I drilled to mount the roll pin this left me with a small web of steel to hold the sight in place. What was left started to crack and beak off after 800 rounds. I found where someone modified a Meprolight front sight on a different forum. I didn't like how he screwed another piece to the sight to mount it. This sight needed to be machined down also to put the dot at the correct height. After milling it bottom of it's base down I found the tang was now big enough to reach the bottom of the pocket. So I filed a somewhat radius on it to get it into the pocket. The wife and I hike and camp a lot so I need night sights for predator protection in the boonies. I will try to post pics

wb292

Bearcat
I searched the forum looking for way to post pics. Anyone know where I can find instructions?