Sell a Service Six for a GP100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
My local guy got 3 GP100's in. All older 3" guns with Lett grips. CAI marked but tight. I have a 4" Service Six that is super nice. Stainless and near perfect. So if I buy the GP something has to go and the Service Six seems kind of redundant. Good trade?

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Maybe you could put the GP100 on lay-away and keep the Service Six? I bought the 3" Stainless GP-100 and later found a very clean near mint looking Police Service Six but it spit lead out the right side and because I am left handed I would sometimes hit me in the face. A right handed friend had zero problem. I sold it but probably could have had the issue easily corrected. It was a very eye-appealing gun and felt better in my hand than the GP 100. There is nothing redundant about having same calibre gun in similar configuration, otherwise I wouldn't have multiple Old Model Blackhawks in the same calibre.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've had a few of the DA "Six" series for many, many years. I'd shot some of the GP's off & on,, but never owned one until almost 2 years ago. I now own 3 of them. I'd do what I could to keep the Service-Six, and get the GP as a compliment to it.

I have a few D/A Sixes that I really like. I also have some SP101's which seem really handy. I like the 3" barrels (and the 2-3/4" as well) and when I felt the GP100 side by side with these others, it just seemed clunky to me. The 3" GP100 has some real potential, but it depends on what you've gotten used to, and how they feel to you. I decided I didn't need a GP100. Good luck with the decision, I know it's a tough choice.

hittman

Staff member
Like others, I'd try to own both the Service Six and GP.

The Six Series guns are my favorite revolvers but the 3 inch GP guns are my favorite GPs.

It's a win-win regardless of what you decide.

Are any of the GP's blued? If so, I'd consider taking a look at whatever you pass on!

.357 or .38 spl? I think the GP is awfully big and heavy for the .38 special.

I would rather have a Security Six, even if both are chambered for .357.

silverback

Blackhawk
I have finally found a grip that is comfortable to shoot my police service six. I have a 6 inch gp-160 half lug gp 100. I have handled and shot the 4 inch gp100 and while it was nice it is definitely much heavier than my service six. I think the service six is a better choice. If you must have a 3 inch gun then try to put it on lay away and keep the service six. You will regret selling it.

Try the pachmayr gripper grips you might change your mind. You can shoot as much 357 full house loads as you want in one setting with no I'll effects. The grips arnt pretty but they make the 357 recoil soft in hand.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
$500 for the guns. All stainless. Definitely some wear. But the CAI import mark kind of throws me off. I can't imagine what country used American made Ruger revolvers.

My Six came with the factory skinny wood grips, but I put the factory Target grips on. Looks and feels much better.

hittman

Staff member
Rumor has it some of the first GPs, blued with 4 inch barrels and the compact grips went to Canada and came back through CAI.

I think that typically the CAI Ruger double action revolvers were the ones that were shipped to Canada. Some of the RCMP Six series guns also came back through CAI.

I may be interested in one of these, how can I get in contact with the seller?

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I bought three of the CAI Service Sixes and SPs out of the bonded warehouse when the Canadian Police were selling them. They sold to police depts here for $100 at the end. I wonder what CAI paid for the hundreds they bought? Must have been scrap prices. I paid $375 for two Service Sixes and two SPs. One of the SPs was discounted because it was damaged. (75 bucks!). All the snubbys were sold to police the longer barrels were sold to anyone by agreement between Century arms and the Canadians.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I passed. They're still there though. He said he would buy my Service Six for $300 for his personal use, which is way too low. I'd lose my Six and still have to pay $200 for a gun in not nearly as nice condition.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
You made the right choice. Keep that Service Six. (Says the guy who sold a mint 2.75 Sec. Six and a nice 4" stainless Service Six.) Some nights, I still wake up screaming.