BISLEY GRIPS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jn 41

Single-Sixer
I purchased a set of bisley grips from the on line ruger store. Sim. ivory with ruger medalions. They do not have the grove cut in the top of grips, (like the factory grips do) to fit the grip frame. they fit everywhere but not there anyone else had this problem? I called ruger they said all bisley grip frames are the same. I can return the grips. But I can also make them fit.

yes, there are grips new from the factory that do NOT have the 'notch' cut out at the top and we've had some others that the location pin is ever so slightly "off"???? yes, you can make them work......
I know its been this way with some of the Blackhawks, etc,., same thing......someday ,maybe we will get a full fledge description of ALL these new type......I have people come to the gun show all the time, ordered NEW grips and they do NOT fit..........feels sorry for any store or shop, that would like to "know" just what to have on hand ( keep in stock) .....NONE of them do around here
Even our local Ruger dealer at the gun shows does NOT.........too complicated 8) :roll: :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dan is so right about Ruger complications!

It's not a problem, just a vintage issue. Those grips are for 2005 and later Bisley grip frames/guns that no longer have the forward protruding lugs that index into the main frame. Just file the relief notch in the back of each grip like your original grips have.

jn 41

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. One of my friends has a machine shop. we are going to work on them next week. I called Ruger twice and got 2 different answers. Either way I still love my rugers.
Thanks again, Jim

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Was either answer correct?

Ruger seldom provides anything correct or helpful for these issues. The CS people have very little or no knowledge of Ruger's guns and especially not about design changes over the years, period!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
... The CS people have very little or no knowledge of Ruger's guns and especially not about design changes over the years, period!

That's since moving CS calls to Mayodan. Everything about using local employees ( to get NC's $9.9M grant monies)
Has produced a factory of screen-readers, not gun people. Quantity over quality demonstrated.
Want to watch another Marlin happen? Watch anything shipped from Mayodan, NC.

contender

Ruger Guru
mohavesam,, the $9.9 M monies you speak of was OFFERED by the NC Governor,, NOT asked for by Ruger. In fact, Mr. Fifer told me DIRECTLY he had an offer to propose,, but the Governor insisted on his package. And yes,, many local employees,,,,, but NC has a large number of engineers, and such that are needed at the plant. Add in the required drug testing & background checks, makes finding good employees hard.

And, having personally visited the Mayodan plant, they only produce certain models there & do not do all the CS there. BTW; The LCP series are made in Mayodan. Are you saying they are all bad???

The method of production & assembly used in Mayodan, and the other plants is a modern streamlined assy. Due to the demand by consumers for a gun to not cost much, yet be "perfect" is driving ALL makers to streamline a lot of manufacturing methods.

All major gun makers suffer from a lack of skilled gunsmiths that can build guns. I have discussed it with S&W as well. Remington is suffering from issues also. A skilled worker expects a wage well above the cost of building a firearm nowadays. Skilled machinists in NC expect & get $20 an hour or more pay. Add in "labor burdon" and the expense of an employee will set a company back another $15-$20 an hour. A LCP costs (street pricing) around $200-$225. So, at an EXPENSE of $40 per hour,,, to make money Ruger would have to make an LCP in under 3 hours time if one person worked on it.
I use the LCP as an example,, as I have personally seen the manufacturing process for them, and know they can build a solid, reliable firearm,, using the modern methods.
The LCP is an "easier" gun to build, than other models,, but the principal is the same.

And if you send in a gun for service,, it goes to the appropriate plant where that model is built.

CS people who answer the phone inquiries are NOT life long Ruger fanatics. They are employees. And I challenge anyone to be able to field any & all questions by consumers on a daily basis & get it right 100% of the time. Including folks here, and I'll gladly say I'd be the first person to admit I do not know nearly enough to discuss all the models, and all the changes in 70 years of Ruger history. And to add to that,, there is not a magical factory book to give them all the details we would LIKE to have. And sadly,, it's not on a computer where it can easily be checked. The employees have a hard enough time keeping up with the current offerings,, much less any "older" stuff.

Many of the fine folks here are extremely intelligent about certain Rugers & all. Hondo44 is an excellent example of that. I have followed & appreciate his detailed knowledge often. But I'd bet he'd admit he too can't answer all facets of Ruger history with 100% accuracy.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I tend to look at it from mfg improvement, systems improvement but understand not everyone does. Shopruger and customer support were moved to nc and IMHO still have not pulled up to standards set by previous CS and aftermarket retail. And I have been through the NC plant a few times, it is run as an "assembly & test" operation, for product lines that are established and controlled (require only assemblers).