Trigger spring tune or Wolff spring?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
When it comes to tuning the trigger for an easier pull I read about being done 4 different ways.
First is the stock spring with one leg off the pin which I have done without any issues on my SA Rugers.

2nd is the stock spring with both legs bent up slightly for less tension.

3rd is to replace with a Wolff spring for the amount of pull tension you like.

And the 4th is retaining stock spring and doing polish work on trigger and hammer sear and some
even reduce the length of the hammer sear surface but this is to reduce trigger creep.

Have any of you bent the trigger spring legs up and how did that compare to removing one leg
off the pin?

Enigma

Hunter
Removing one leg from the trigger spring can cause problems - the loose leg can catch in the mainspring, and some say that it causes uneven wear on the trigger sear surface. Granted, it would probably take a very long time to make a discernible difference on the sear.

cas6969

Buckeye
Any aftermarket springs I ever put in a Ruger single action, I ended up taking out and throwing away.

Mushy weak trigger returns and slower hammer falls. (and they're none too fast to begin with)

choirboy

Bearcat
I put a bend in the middle of the spring. Then I put a bend near the hook at the top so that it holds the bent spring out away from the main spring. I do this to both springs. I have seen the problem Enigma mentioned. In one case the spring had worked it's way in between the mainspring coils.
CB

rob-c

Single-Sixer
I also did the removing one leg thing, but it always bothered me knowing that leg was right up against the coil. For less than $15 it was worth getting the wolf 2pack trigger springs.

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
A little work with the polishing wheel (not grinding) on every part that rubs on another part in the action with a 20 oz trigger return spring and a stock mainspring will make a big difference and still set off all brands of primers. Be sure to lube all the internals good.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
cas said:
Any aftermarket springs I ever put in a Ruger single action, I ended up taking out and throwing away.

Mushy weak trigger returns and slower hammer falls. (and they're none too fast to begin with)

I'll pass on Flatgate's advice. If you want faster hammer strikes, swap out mainspring with an Old Army spring. It's heavier than stock Blackhawk spring. I did this on my scoped Super Blackhawk that I use for hunting.

Aqualung

SAJohn

Hunter
I am a fan of the bent trigger spring approach on the New Models plus a careful honing of the sear contact services without changing the angle. For example, my New Model .45 Blackhawk came with a factory trigger pull of 3 lbs 4 oz with excessive and rough creep. After the trigger spring and polishing work, it is a smooth 2 lbs 4 oz. This without any main spring change.

John

John

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

A buddy has an interesting and valuable philosophy on "customizing" things: "Never fudge up something you can't un-fudge when you need to." If nothing else, it can make selling the item easier later on.

With that in mind, the Ruger engineers spec'd the springs they do for a variety of reasons, so I'd honor their work by putting the factory springs in a bag or envelope in a safe place and then putting the Wolff springs in. If you like 'em, great. If not, you can get back to Square One exactly as it was before you started your experiments.

Just one person's opinion, of course...

Rick C

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

A buddy has an interesting and valuable philosophy on "customizing" things: "Never fudge up something you can't un-fudge when you need to." If nothing else, it can make selling the item easier later on.

With that in mind, the Ruger engineers spec'd the springs they do for a variety of reasons, so I'd honor their work by putting the factory springs in a bag or envelope in a safe place and then putting the Wolff springs in. If you like 'em, great. If not, you can get back to Square One exactly as it was before you started your experiments.

Just one person's opinion, of course...

Rick C
. Especially if a firearm has to be returned to factory. I was told if Ruger replaced trigger springs, owner would be charged.