Lcr 9mm dont know what the fuss is about

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
Well I don't know what all the fuss is about.
I have been researching going back and forth in my mind for a long time about getting one of these.

I had a lcr 22lr and loved it. Sold it as I ended up with the taurus 992 6 inch barrel (to maximize velocities) and 22lr/22 mag cylinders. Its heavy but man it's like its laser guided.

I picked up a taurus 905 and it was fine with the bulls head grip if you can find them but it was still a bit heavy almost like the sp101.

Sold it and thought oh well I will settle on my.kel tec p11.

I really enjoy revolvers and think they still have a place in ones box of tools. The 2 inch 9mm kept gnawing away at.me.

Finally I purchased a used one in great condition. Really doesn't look like it had much use.

I picked up the lcr9mm from my dealer today and headed straight out to the range. It had the diamond pro grips on it. I took them off and put stock grips on for first go round
Loaded up the moon clips inserted one and waited for a super nasty sharp recoil.

Went off and yeah it was sharp but didn't hurt.
Adjusted my grip and nothing to it but to do it.

Piece of cake. This gun is a pleasure to shoot.
100 rounds no issue.

Accurate as I am able. It is shooting lower than point of aim at 7, 15 and 20 yards.

Heck at seven yards off hand I had one flyer but the rest were clover leaf.

I will call ruger to see if they have other sight heights.

After all this fuss and research this thing ends up being the perfect light weight 2 inch revolver for me.

Recoil is really nothing to speak of once you get your grip down.

No need for.the diamond pro grip.

Besides it's much too large.

I am super happy with this little revolver.

Anyway, I am glad I finally made this purchase.
Great companion to my kel tec p11.

Oh yeah! Ruger does it again. Happy dance!

Lol!!!!

If your in the fence and used to shooting the higher pressure calibers this is a no brainer.

If you have shot a snappy revolver give it to me and find your grip and all will be well.

silverback

Blackhawk
Speed six 9mm that's nice. Jealous!

My only problem with my service six is finding the right grip. I have settled on the old pachmayr presentation grips.

I like the lett grips on my gp-160. Wish they made some like that for the square butt guns.

I hate to have to start looking for a gpf-340 c. Just to have a comfortable grip.

TRanger

Blackhawk
A problem I have seen repeatedly with the 9mm LCR is the bullets pulling loose under recoil and tying up the gun. It happened again just yesterday during a qualification run.

s4s4u

Hunter

My thoughts as well, but in a different way. Unless you have a pile of 9mm ammo, I fail to see the draw of a 9mm revolver.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
s4s4u said:

My thoughts as well, but in a different way. Unless you have a pile of 9mm ammo, I fail to see the draw of a 9mm revolver.

Grab some factory self-defense ammo and go shoot them in the little revolver over chronograph and look at their velocity.
It will open your eyes as to what these little revolvers can do. Most 9mm 115gr S-D ammo will be 100+ fps faster than factory 110gr 38 Special +P.

I have a S&W 940 and my carry ammo is 9mm Winchester 124gr +P Ranger which does 1,050 fps out of the 2" revolver and in my Ruger SP101 I carry Remington or Federal 125gr JHP 357 magnum which does about 1,040 - 1,080 fps. For me, the felt recoil and the muzzle blast of the 9mm is bearable for 80+ rounds while about 25 rounds of the 357 magnum rounds is my limit.

Most 9mm ammo out of 2" revolver will be closer in performance to 357 magnum than 38 Special +P.

In my area these little revolvers are popular as back up gun among LEO who's primary duty pistol is in 9mm.

Mus408

Hunter
If you are already owning 9mm semi-auto's it's a nice backup.
I'm not into 9mm but do have .357 revolvers and I can shoot a quick 5 round cycle on target without issues.
Now those revolvers are not intended as an all day range shooter.

Latest posts