Ruger 44 Spl.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dumbear

Bearcat
I just bought a Ruger FT 44 Spl. and very excited to get it in my hands. Its being shipped from one Cabela's to another. Ser.# is 521ooo. Anyway have some questions.I'm looking for a 2lb trigger using a Wolf spring kit. Dose the standard Blackhawk kit fit this mid sized frame and what weight hammer spring should I get.

no reason to jump at buying ANY trigger spring kits, try it out, break it in, shoot it, use it, and THEN if any issues do a clean up of the trigger/hammer......
it is NOT a "target/bullseye gun" ........ 8) :roll: :wink:

Mus408

Hunter
I have a new one also and so far a nice shooter.
Only thing trigger wise I have done was to polish up the hammer spring guide bar and spring retainer hole and the "forbidden" trigger mod of releasing one leg of the trigger spring...same as on my other SA Rugers.
That helps some but still has a bit of creep like before but maybe not a bad thing.

My older SBH from the mid 90's has smoother and a bit lighter hammer pull and a no creep trigger pull and don't know if it had any previous work since I bought it used at the LGS, but it is really tight and sweet shooter.
Have read where if you swap in a lighter hammer spring it delays lock up. How is that?
Would like to lighten up the hammer pull just a bit without having to have it happen naturally
after many years of use!

Dumbear

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. Mine is ser # 521 000 maybe post 2012/13. The Lispys 1000 run ended in the 520 000, as I understand it. I really wan t a 2/2.5 lb trigger.

CraigC

Hawkeye
You can try one of the spring kits and see how that works out. The flat-tops seem to be smoother out of the box than the other New Models so it might not cause any reliability issues. Hammer spring tension does affect let-off and I usually use a 17lb Wolff hammer spring in all my Rugers. You can always go up in spring rate or have it professionally tuned for the best trigger possible.

roashooter

Single-Sixer
I have one of the LIpseys run of 44special flat top....and I guess I got lucky....it is flawless....timing....lockup.....trigger pull....are perfect....even the finish is above what Ruger usually puts out lately....

gunzo

Buckeye
It's probably gonna need some, or a lot of professionally done hammer/sear work if you are set on 2-2 1/2 lbs. That usually doesn't happen( for me anyway) with just spring changes.

I take it the 521- series doesn't have the lock under the grip ? Thinking the one with a lock would need different springs than the regular BH's ?

Enjoy your FT Special. They are.

Mus408

Hunter
I would say mine is great quality but with one minor little detail...the left side grip panel
is a bit short of the back strap from top to bottom and being a lefty I can feel that sharp edge in my palm.
The right side panel is perfect all the way around.

Had thought of blending the exposed metal around but then the issue of matching the bluing is a problem.
Called Ruger and they are sending out another set of grips so we will see if I get lucky with a better fit.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
gunzo said:
It's probably gonna need some, or a lot of professionally done hammer/sear work if you are set on 2-2 1/2 lbs. That usually doesn't happen( for me anyway) with just spring changes.

I take it the 521- series doesn't have the lock under the grip ? Thinking the one with a lock would need different springs than the regular BH's ?

The highest Lipsey 44 is # 520-20022 and all had the lock.
Prefix 521 means it doesn't have the lock; 2012.

The hammer spring with the lock has a 25 coil spring. The standard hammer spring has a 28 coil spring. I use the 25 coil in all my Rugers.

Mus408

Hunter
So the 521 issues are not part of the Lipsey run but a regular Ruger item now?
Mine is the 521 series.
Does the older Super Blackhawk 86-60xxx series use same 25 coil spring?

Rclark

Hunter
After the Lipsey run, the .44 Special was a cataloged item.

.and I guess I got lucky....it is flawless.
You did get lucky! Never had a Ruger (and I've got a few) that was 'perfect' when it came to the trigger set. Mine all had creep. All had high trigger pull, etc. Each needed a gunsmith to do a complete trigger job to make them run right. You can do the poor boy trigger job, to drop the trigger pull a bit, but its still not 'perfect'. Also very few had a nice tight cylinder gap. All within Ruger's spec of course ... but not down where it should be. And then there is grip panel fit, or the grip frame to cylinder frame fit .... Anyway, the list could go on, but that's been my experience. I like my Rugers, but none were perfect out the gate. Always some change to make them 'right' (or at least 'closer' to perfect :) ).

A long time ago I bought a SA .22 of German design/make that had a 2 lb trigger. It got lighter and lighter til the hammer would no longer hold. Even at 2 lbs the gun was dangerous!
gramps

Dumbear

Bearcat
gunzo said:

Can anyone recommend a smith that can do a first rate trigger/action job should I choose to go that route. I live in Maine

G2

Hunter
Dumbear said:
Can anyone recommend a smith that can do a first rate trigger/action job should I choose to go that route.

You should inform of your location, as there are lots of good gunsmiths out there, maybe even in your backyard. :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
There are many good gunsmiths that can work on a Ruger SA action & make it smoother. I would opt for that route,,, instead of thinking a set of springs will "fix" any potential issues.

A proper trigger job can feel a lot lighter than it is. I have a few, that the pull is 3-4 labs,, yet, are so smooth that many folks THINK they are a pound or so. Smooth feels great, and not always as "light" as they seem.

G2

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
gunzo said:

The highest Lipsey 44 is # 520-20022 and all had the lock.
Prefix 521 means it doesn't have the lock; 2012.

The hammer spring with the lock has a 25 coil spring. The standard hammer spring has a 28 coil spring. I use the 25 coil in all my Rugers.

FWIW;
My 44special bisley flattop sn# 520-2784X (Dec-07-2011) is no lock, blued hammer/trigger.
._._._My 45/45ACP flattop sn# 520-2705X (Aug-31-2011) is a lock gun, keeping in mind it's the NM XR3 grip.

I have no idea if the 44special came thru Lipsey's, apparently not.
The 45/45ACP did go thru Lipsey's, in fact hand picked by JC.

CraigC

Hawkeye
contender said:
There are many good gunsmiths that can work on a Ruger SA action & make it smoother. I would opt for that route,,, instead of thinking a set of springs will "fix" any potential issues.

A proper trigger job can feel a lot lighter than it is. I have a few, that the pull is 3-4 labs,, yet, are so smooth that many folks THINK they are a pound or so. Smooth feels great, and not always as "light" as they seem.
Yeah but springs are cheap and 'may' give him what he's looking for. Shipping is not, at $200 round trip, plus $100-$150 for an action job. It's always worth a shot to change the springs and see where that leaves you. No, it will never compete with a proper action job but it just might be good enough. As deep as I am in custom guns, I wouldn't spend $350 just for a tune-up.

Latest posts