My Bisley Flattop .44 short review......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Got it this afternoon and made a quick run down to my range for some shots.
First off the cylinder gap was great with .006 all around and with .004 cylinder end play which to me is a bit loose. So gap was .002-.006. Cylinder throats were .432...perfect!
Fit and finish was good....typical Ruger and the trigger has a good bit of creep before it breaks.

Now only had time to run a mix of fifty rounds thru it but it shot everything clean...no leading.
My loads were 240 gr. Keith bullet with Hi-Tek coating from MB loaded over 7 gr. of Unique,
same bullet loaded with 8.0 gr. Power Pistol, 230 gr. Lyman 429215 with GC bullet loaded over
7.7 Unique.
Picture below were the first shots of the 240 gr. MB bullet with 7.0 gr. Unique shooting off hand,one handed, standing from 12 yds. When I did my part I had 3 ragged holes together...sweet!
Need to do a little trigger work to get rid of that trigger creep though.
The sights were untouched out the box and might just need a click up to get on bulls eye.

May add a .002 shim in front of cylinder to tighten up that end play/shake a bit but
going to have some fun with this cool .44 Bisley!
ahfy7fo.jpg

rjn

Bearcat
I have the same revolver but in 5.5" and have basically the same measurements meaning 4mil end play. On my revolver the end play is reduced when cartridges are inserted as the rims push the cylinder forward. It works well even though theoretically it shouldn't meet headspace spec. Please check yours out and see if you see the same thing.

Mus408

Hunter
I added a .003 shim since I had some for these applications and it works smooth with or without ammo.
No dragging and it got rid of excessive play.
I have noticed on my Ruger SA revolvers from 1993 and 2005 there was very little if any cylinder end play.
They were built really tight but smooth back then.

Other than that the Flattop is a really nice shooter! Went thru most of my .44 Special loads and back in the reload room making more "feed" !!