Why single action woods or outdoor gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1ruger

Single-Sixer
Why do so many people use single action revolver for their woods gun or outdoor gun?
Last weekend we had 11 members of the hunting club come out for work day and out of 9 members who were carrying side arm I counted 1 Kimber 1911 in 45ACP, 1 S&W 4" model 66, 1 S&W 3" model 10 (me), 1 Glock 19 and 4 Ruger Blackhawk/Vaquero and 1 Colt Peacemaker in 45LC. 5 out of 9 were single action revolver.

What is the action of single action revolver for outdoor purpose? I can shoot my double action revolver in single or double action.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I used to carry my Ruger blackhawk .41 exclusively while hunting for bears and hogs. I did it primarily because it is much lighter than my redhawk and I shoot terribly in double action with magnum revolvers. I much preferred to shoot my NMBH over the RH and shot it better, even when both in SA mode. Now I carry a glock 10mm. :) My .02.

Enigma

Hunter
Because. I actually switch around between SA or DA revolvers, and autos. It depends on many variables. If I'm salmon fishing in Alaska, I'll probably be carrying a .44 Mag or larger SA revolver. If I'm walking through the desert in Arizona, where hostile-human encounters are much more likely than encountering a hungry bear, I might carry a Glock 9mm or a 1911.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Personal preference mostly, and some nostalgia for earlier days. But large caliber SA wheel guns are probably the most reliable heavy hitters that ever were. Anything from .357 and up will take care of a wide range of potential threats from rattlesnakes to big game to people. Of course the ammo you load is a big factor, but like shotguns, you can load pretty much anything from ratshot to wadcutters to jhp to fmj and mix it up and not worry about feeding or other issues, and as a last resort they make a damn good head thumper. :wink:

But like any weapon they are only as good as the person wielding it. :) If I was stuck with just 2 guns, I'd chose my NMBH .41 mag, and my Henry carbine in the same caliber.

Mus408

Hunter
Well if I'm going to take my lever rifle out to the range I'll most likely carry along a matching SA six shooter.
If doing a combination of work and play I'll carry either my Springfield XDE .45 ACP or my S&W M69 4.2 inch barrel.
Just depends.
But being out in the woods on a nice day seems to be complete with a nice big bore six shooter!

Rclark

Hunter
Just because it seems the right gun for me for woods walking, camping, fishing. I never shoot DA, so no reason to carry a DA in the woods. Plus they are all really ugly in comparison to a SA. The slab sided thingies just do nothing for me. I know they work good for the armed forces but not for my style of shooting.... No, a good thumb buster just fills all the niches I use and want a gun for. Worked for the guys in the 1800s and 1900s, and works now in the 2000s. Each to their own though :) .

G2

Hunter
While I like my double actions I prefer the grip design of the Single Action's.
The Double action having the bump in the rear backstrap
-vs-
the nice roll of the Single Action backstrap.

As the DA does provide a quick unload, they both still load one at a time,,,,usually. :roll:

grobin

Blackhawk
I find double actions inherently difficult to shoot accurately, if used DA. Carrying a S.A. cocked makes it faster than a DA and with some practice follow-up shots are as fast and more likely to be on target. YMMV!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The first handgun I ever shot was my brother's WW II souvenir Mauser .25 ACP. I did miserably with it, and determined I would learn all I could about handguns and shooting handguns. I tried over the years auto pistols, single shot pistols, double action and Single Action revolvers. From my log books I've owned and shot over sixty handguns. After all was shot and done, the Single Action revolver emerged tall hog at the trough for me. And has been for the last ten years or so.

Bob Wright

s4s4u

Hunter
Carrying a S.A. cocked makes it faster than a DA

Huh? A few milliseconds isn't worth the increased chance of a ND carrying a SA cocked. The time it takes to clear leather is practice better spent if speed is deemed so necessary. Situational awareness is even more important.

It depends on what I am doing in the woods. Horse back riding cries for SA. Weight is not as much of a factor. Should you draw while on horseback, less likely to have an AD. When in Alaska, I preferred my RedHawk, I could unload that puppy in under 5 seconds into a target. I can't do that SA.
gramps

bogus bill

Hunter
Like many of us on these sites I have some of all them. SA, DA, and semi`s in SA and used to have a couple DA semi`s.
To start with in the boonies you don't need a fast reload. Many of us reload and if your shooting auto you cant easily find all your brass in the grass. If your hunting deer size up you have choice of bigger calibers in revolvers over autos.
Most of us old timers don't equate a auto to long range shooting like we do a 357 or 44 or 45 revolver. I haven't kept up with the auto world, there well may be some good few specialized ones now but generally they are built as a defensive weapon, not designed as a hunting handgun.
Most of us older generation gun people were raised on revolvers far more than autos. The new generation is being raised on "tactical" and plastic everything. Also my take is that they aren't as big on reloading, experimenting loads, guns and longer range shooting as we were.

s4s4u said:
Carrying a S.A. cocked makes it faster than a DA

Huh? A few milliseconds isn't worth the increased chance of a ND carrying a SA cocked. The time it takes to clear leather is practice better spent if speed is deemed so necessary. Situational awareness is even more important.

I think that there might be some misunderstanding at work here... perhaps grobin was referring to single-action vs. double-action semiautomatic pistols?

Otherwise... I concur with s4s4u's "Huh?" sentiment.

I don't want to be hanging around with anyone toting a cocked single-action revolver in their holster!
:shock: :p

tom black

Blackhawk
I love them both. This 4 digit SBH was bought in 1972 for $235, it was essentially new. The Model 29 was purchased new around '75, IIRC I gave $400 for it. They have both been packed a million miles and had a million heavy rounds put through each of them. I didn't realize it but I actually have more Smith's than Ruger's. I'm betting I've fired more rounds through the Smith's DA than SA. The DA pull on a S&W is the finest in the world. This coming May I'm off to Idaho on a spot and stalk bear hunt, if I decide to take a side arm it will be this 4" Model 29 loaded with Elmer's heavy load. Why? Because that is what he would have carried with him. If I take it, sometime before we pack out I will sit down and do a little long range shooting with it as a tribute to the Old Master.
Tom Black

414138123.jpg

414138124.jpg

bogus bill

Hunter
I find double actions inherently difficult to shoot accurately, if used DA. Carrying a S.A. cocked makes it faster than a DA and with some practice follow-up shots are as fast and more likely to be on target. YMMV!
Tell me this was a accidental misprint--please! I wouldn't want to try carrying a cocked revolver, single or double action in a holster at all! Has to be a typo??

Aesthetically, I prefer a SA. In recent years I have developed some arthritis in my shooting thumb. That prevents me from shooting anything in 357 and up in a SA. Strangely, I can shoot DA's in heavier calibers with no pain. I shoot them single action, never DA. So, I carry DA's and semi's for woods walking and as a rifle companion when hunting.

As someone said already, I think it goes back to the days of the western movies and tv shows. The first handgun I shot was a Ruger Single Six. It wasn't mine, but belonged to my neighbors dad. We'd get home from school and go out shooting and hunting. From the beginning I was taken with how well they pointed. Later on when I started buying my own, I thought the double action was the real deal. As time passed if I was going out into the woods a S/A went with me. It just feels right. I think it depends quite a bit on what you learned to shoot and how well you learned to shoot it. I guarantee any of the good CAS will out shoot and shoot faster than any ordinary double action shooter. I went to Alaska with a model 29 and they were hard to come by back in those days. Didn't take long before I picked up a SBH 44 mag. That's mostly what went out when I did. A few times being out in the woods and running into a bear and even a moose and you find out how good you handle a handgun. But look down the sights and it's even more impressive how well it was pointed. If you put a lot of miles on, you find out what works. I can tell you hanging a heavy gun off my pants belt over a long time is not all that comfortable. I'm always pulling my pants up. Seems my belly is bigger than my hips. Or at least that's what my belt says. I found that a bondoleer (by Pistol packaging) is pretty handy. Then I had Rudy Lozano from Black hills leather build me a holster with just the right cant on it. Man that is sweet.
I also ran into a guy from Diamond D Leather that makes a great chest holster. Depending on your needs, they just work. I liked they were made in Alaska.