Ruger New Model Single-Six / Hammerli "Virginian" Reviews

Help Support Ruger Forum:

huskerbob

Bearcat
Having recently acquired a 'new to me' Interarms / Hammerli Virginian, a S.A.A. pistol introduced in 1973, I tracked down an May, 1973 issue of American Rifleman which contained a review of that gun.

When I received the copy I had purchased on eBay I found it also contained an announcement by Ruger of the New Model Ruger Single-Six Revolver which Ruger began shipping in January, 1973.

I am posting here today to let anyone who is interested in either of these two reviews, to go along with their guns, know I will be happy to email you a scanned copy of the review(s).

Just send me a PM with your email address and I will send them to you as a courtesy as soon as possible.

Please note the "Virginian" review is for the Hammerli "Virginian" built in Switzerland......NOT the "Dragoon" model which was, I believe, built in Germany and later in the US I think, for sale by Interarms. The "Dragoon" is a different gun.

Correction: It appears that the Interarms "Virginian Dragoon" was built exclusively in Virginia and was never manufactured in Germany.

Thanks......and good shooting!

Bob N a/k/a huskerbob

St. George, UT.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
So far as I know all the Dragoons were American made. The advertising was to the effect, "The first armory in Virginia since 1865."

Bob Wright

Just a note, we recall that there was an issue with the Hammerli made Virginians, the color cased cylinder frames had cracking issues...not sure if that was due to the case color "hardening" or casting or whatever, but we had them come in the shop back in the 70's and early 80s that were cracked........
saw one at a gun show years ago, same thing.......before the days of the digital or smart phone cameras.....hhhmmm

I know back then Ruger same thing, the 4140 chrome moly castings, becasue it is a "complex material" case hardening can casue this metal to become brittle ,crack...this is why Turnbull Tyler and others use a nother form of case coloring NOT hardening........I know Springfield, Ohio color case would NEVER do any Ruger receivers..........

huskerbob

Bearcat
Bob Wright said:
So far as I know all the Dragoons were American made. The advertising was to the effect, "The first armory in Virginia since 1865."

Bob Wright

You are correct Sir. My mistake. Sorry for the confusion.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
A friend bought a new Dragoon years ago. It turned out to be a pile of crap.