A new frame size?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5of7

Hunter
I hears that Ruger is about to produce a new revolver with a frame size between the Redhawk, and the GP100.

Anybody else hear this? 8)

gunzo

Hunter
Mus408 said:
Would that be like an S&W L frame??

The GP & L frame are very close.

If Ruger was to split the dif. of the RH & GP(doubtful) it would be more like a N frame wouldn't it?

Thel

Blackhawk
I don't see them doing a smaller frame for Redhawk cartridges as this would not give "Ruger strength" for hot loads they are noted for. If anything, I think they might modify the GP frame making it a smidge larger to take .44 mag, .45 Colt, 7 shot .357 (that works) much as Taurus has done with their medium frame. There is more volume there to be sold. If they did do a 6 shot .45 smaller than a Redhawk as another has noted it would be a Ruger "N" frame.

5of7

Hunter
Something like the N frame Smith is likely what it would come to all right. My question would be why? Once a revolver gets as big as the Current GP100, it loses a lot of it's appeal as a personal defense carry gun, and the 4.2" Redhawk isn't that bad a deal as far as woods carry is concerned. It would be interesting, but would it sell well? Of course, with today's manufacturing methods, it is not nearly to introduce a new frame size as it once was. Stay tuned. 8)

gunman42782

Hunter
I, personally, have begged Ruger for years to produce a Redhawk with the GP100/Super Redhawk lockwork and grip stud. I hope it's something akin to this! I love the Redhawk, but the grip just doesn't fit me, no matter what grip I tried, and I tried most of them. Best I ever found was the standard wood grip with a Tyler T adapter. But it would twist in my hand when I fired it. All the other rubber grips where too dang big, and I got a pretty good sized hand! I never really cared for the looks of the Super. If they can build a revolver that looks like the GP in a larger frame to take .44 Mags, I would be all over it. I gave up on the Redhawks and ended up with a Smith 629.

5of7

Hunter
gunman42782 said:
I, personally, have begged Ruger for years to produce a Redhawk with the GP100/Super Redhawk lockwork and grip stud. I hope it's something akin to this! I love the Redhawk, but the grip just doesn't fit me, no matter what grip I tried, and I tried most of them. Best I ever found was the standard wood grip with a Tyler T adapter. But it would twist in my hand when I fired it. All the other rubber grips where too dang big, and I got a pretty good sized hand! I never really cared for the looks of the Super. If they can build a revolver that looks like the GP in a larger frame to take .44 Mags, I would be all over it. I gave up on the Redhawks and ended up with a Smith 629.

Yes, that would make sense to me too. 8)

Thel

Blackhawk
"I, personally, have begged Ruger for years to produce a Redhawk with the GP100/Super Redhawk lockwork and grip stud. I hope it's something akin to this! I love the Redhawk, but the grip just doesn't fit me, no matter what grip I tried, and I tried most of them. Best I ever found was the standard wood grip with a Tyler T adapter. But it would twist in my hand when I fired it. All the other rubber grips where too dang big, and I got a pretty good sized hand! I never really cared for the looks of the Super. If they can build a revolver that looks like the GP in a larger frame to take .44 Mags, I would be all over it. I gave up on the Redhawks and ended up with a Smith 629."

The most logical would be to modify the Redhawk to take the internals out of the Super Redhawks as this would cut down on the total number of different parts that would be required to build the two and improve that action and tunability on the Redhawk.

Thel said:
"I, personally, have begged Ruger for years to produce a Redhawk with the GP100/Super Redhawk lockwork and grip stud. I hope it's something akin to this! I love the Redhawk, but the grip just doesn't fit me, no matter what grip I tried, and I tried most of them. Best I ever found was the standard wood grip with a Tyler T adapter. But it would twist in my hand when I fired it. All the other rubber grips where too dang big, and I got a pretty good sized hand! I never really cared for the looks of the Super. If they can build a revolver that looks like the GP in a larger frame to take .44 Mags, I would be all over it. I gave up on the Redhawks and ended up with a Smith 629."

The most logical would be to modify the Redhawk to take the internals out of the Super Redhawks as this would cut down on the total number of different parts that would be required to build the two and improve that action and tunability on the Redhawk.

Well, then it wouldn't be a Redhawk any more. RedhawkII, perhaps? :wink:

There's a rumor that Ruger has "fixed" the rimlocking problem on the seven-shot GP100, and that may very well realize a "new" frame size that might, perhaps, maybe, allow for a five-shooter in the larger chamberings. Guess we'll see.

:shock:

Thel

Blackhawk
I believe the rumor supposedly started when someone saw a Team Ruger or someone shooting a Ruger that could not be identified as either a Redhawk, Super Redhawk or GP. It is too bad that no photos of the gun exist or at least I have not seen any of them. I would definitely like to see the enlarged GP as I could see both a 7 shot .357 and a .44 mag in my future.

RSIno1

Hunter
Would the bean counters allow it? More parts inventory cost $ and I'm sure the accountants would see no value in another part that does exactly the same thing as a part already on the shelf.