Ruger 9mm moon clips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack76590

Bearcat
I recently purchased an SP101 chambered in 9mm. I purchased some extra moon clips. My question for those carrying this revolver is how you carry moon clips? Also how delicate are they? I am concerned that a bent moon clip would jam revolver or not work. It would seem some kind of carrying case to protect moon clips was way to go, but I have not seen any. Any info appreciated.

Ron IL

Bearcat
I would think you need to look at the cases for speed loaders. Probably a 38 might be close to size. The only thing might be that if you put two or three in a case they might be hard to pull out. A speed loader has a knob on it to pull it out. Maybe a finger in the center hole would work.

rangerbob

Buckeye
A speedloader pouch sized for the 38/357 will hold 2 9mm moon clips, one stacked on top of the other. Uncle Mike's, HKS, Blackhawk, Bianchi, and some others make these. They are available in leather or synthetic. Check MidwayUSA. I use a pair of double loader pouches large size to carry 8 45 acp moon clips. Loose pocket carry will undoubtedly result in bent moon clips, which, as you suggested will result in a non functioning revolver. Bob 8)

rangerbob

Buckeye
I just checked MidwayUSA. They have 8 different products from several manufacturers in leather and cordura. And, yes, a finger in the center hole will work. Bob!! :D

contender

Ruger Guru
I had a friend who was faced with the same issue.
His choice was to make a simple, yet effective loaded moon clip carrier.
He was at a gun show, and there were pouches to carry loaded speed loaders,, where the top had a flap, velcro closure. they had a clip for a belt. He bought a few, removed the clip, and reversed the clip, re-installed it, to where the flap opened downward, and the moon would fall into his hand as he opened it. Quick & easy to do.