ID a frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Papalote

Single-Sixer
I know this has been discussed over and over again. I have a SS frame that I can't find grips for. I have tries NM, OM,Flattop, and SBK. Bought the grip frame used and it did not come with grip panels. It only has a K and a -T- in circles. 1/2 inch wide. A little bigger than the NM grips. No ramps at the top of thr frame. I have put it on a Black and it fits and functions fine. its a little bigger than a XR3-red frame. sorry to bring ths up again but I have researched the post here and on the internet and can not figure it out. Thanks in advance. If I knew how to post pictures I would.

Round trigger guard Super Blackhawk (Super Blackhawk Hunter grip frame?) would have been my guess.

It looks like you may have already eliminated that possibility(?).

Maybe this page from Gunblast will help:
https://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

Good luck!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No worries, Ruger grips frames are numerous.

If the stainless grip frame is truly just a little bigger than the original and not a 1/4" bigger at the base, you just have a standard size grip frame, that was not polished down to the standard size and left a little oversize; not uncommon.

Do you have a belt sander? sand the grip frame down to match the grips you want to use. And then after finishing up with the finest grit belt you have, finish up with 1000 to 2000 grit paper by hand. Buff it to a high polish if that's what it has. Or if it has a satin finish, use a 3M scrub pad from the grocery store.

Papalote

Single-Sixer
Thanks, Hondo. I think that is what I have. Its very close. I'll work on it and learn a little more. 68 is not too old to learn a few new things. Have had Ruger Blackhawks on and off for 50 years. My older brother bought my first one for me. $98.00!!! Wish I still had it. I do have a old model just like it now. Thanks, again

Hondo44

Hawkeye
My pleasure. Can't wait to see it when done, It'll look good, balance better in the hand, and with a little recoil dampening to boot with the extra weight.

A NM 44 Spl:

orig.jpg