OMB 41 mag grip frame ears ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41Gator

Bearcat
I picked up a 4 5/8" OMB 41 mag, ser # 40-089xx awhile back. I just noticed that the ears on the grip frame protrude above the frame by the base of the hammer a little bit (1/16") and where the grip frame and main frame above the trigger guard come together they are flush on the right side but the grip frame is a bit wider for it's entire length on the left side. So I read (Single Action Grip Frames Explained), removed the grips and found XR3-RED, Alcoa, G2, checked the info compared to what's on the grip frame, and it appears to be the correct frame for year and model, so is this odd or normal ? None of my other Rugers are this way. Otherwise the gun is great. Thanks for any info.

41Gator

Bearcat
Sorry for the slow response Hondo44. So, I like the idea. The process would be, buy a NM grip frame, any suggestions/reasonable price/fitting issues etc. Would I still be able to use the OM trigger hammer etc ? I'm comfortable with disassembly/reassembly, minor polishing, changing springs etc. No grinding, bending, big hammer use etc. Just kidding, any help is appreciated.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
NM grip frame adaption to use on an old model:

It's a piece of cake, a fairly easy swap. I put steel Ruger NM steel grip frames on many of my OMs. (and OM grip frames on NMs). Here's a couple of OMs with NM steel grips frames:
Notice the ears on this birdshead around the hammer still need to be fitted to the main frame:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

New grip frames carbon steel or stainless steel from Ruger will come in the rough, and are a lot of work to fit to your gun, then you'll have to get it blued or polish the stainless GF. Best way to get a NM GF and grips is to buy a used 'take off' either blue or stainless; post a 'Want To Buy' in this forum's classifieds, or search ebay and Gunbroker.

Power Customs does make a 2 piece (like a Colt) for about $200 and they are top quality. I have used them. There are no modifications or any other parts needed (except Colt grips) to go on an OM. But they are not ready to just screw on, they take final match fitting to your OM main frame, and they'll need to be blued, or polished if you choose the stainless version which is $30 more.

In general: All Ruger SA grip frames including SBH Dragoon, Old Army, Bisley and Birdshead (excluding Bearcats of course) will interchange from the standpoint of the screw pattern from Single Six to Super BH, Old Model to New Model, and even NM to OM.

The hammer, all the screws, mainspring/spring seat/strut, and pins can be transferred over from your OM Grip Frame.

But if you want a Bisley hammer, you'll need a Clements or Powers Custom Bisley custom OM hammer.

THE ONLY ADAPTATION NEEDED FOR A NEW MODEL GRIP FRAME TO AN OLD MODEL IS THE TRIGGER AND RETURN SPRING, AND THERE ARE 3 OPTIONS:

1. You can use the NM trigger return spring on old model guns with a Clements adapter trigger. This is the easiest way and the trigger is wide to fit the wide trigger slot in all NM grip frames. This is required if you want a Bisley trigger.
You'll also need the NM grip frame trigger return spring and both pins to use a Clements trigger.

___________________________Clements adapter triggers are the center two_________________________
OM trigger__________________standard____&____Bisley w/over travel stop__________________NM Bisley

large.jpg

They are $65 and are a 'drop in'. http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

2. Another option is to use your OM trigger and return spring/plunger. Or the OM Super BH/Ruger old army wide triggers to fill the wide slot in the NM GF, but hard to find and $55 or more if you do. And you'll need one of the adapter methods below:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

You can make the simple aluminum adapter above to fit in the NM GF behind the old model trigger or just use a .22 LR case to hold the return spring and plunger in place. Either will need the one NM trigger return spring retaining pin closest to the trigger shown below to hold your OM trigger return spring/plunger adapter or .22 case in place. File a small notch in the .22 case head to nest on the retaining pin.
IMG_1399_zps09554883.jpg

3. The very easiest swap is a Ruger Old Army steel or SS old model style grip frame already designed for the old model trigger plunger and return spring. They also have a wide trigger slot. The Clements adapter trigger with the shelf for NM return spring ground off is easier and cheaper than finding an OM wide trigger.

41Gator

Bearcat
First, thanks for the time and effort Hondo44, a lot of info and very clear. The ears on my 41 look like the first pic, about the same. So I looked around on ebay just to see and there's a NM single six XRN-3Red frame, so I looked it up and it could be alloy or steel and I would want steel for the balance, is there a way to tell just by looking or am I not understanding the info.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Most all Single Six blue grip frames are alloy with a few rare exceptions on Special guns made as distributor exclusives.

I always ask sellers to check with a magnet if they don't know. But here are the codes on the steel grip frames to go by for the most common XR3-RED (steel or alloy) NM and OM 'size' which is what you have on your OM 41 Mag.

If you want a Blued steel (in the OM 'size' code XR3-RED):

Early NM = A (in a square) XR-3 (that's XR dash 3, not XR3),
Late NM = A in circle XR-3, 1 in circle

The XRN-3RED frame you saw is an alloy grip frame.

I have stainless NM codes if you want them,
Jim

41Gator

Bearcat
Appreciate all the time and effort Hondo44. I'll take some time to look and learn and decide if I want to take on this little project. Thanks again.