The first SS Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'm trying to remember the story of how and when my Dad bought this gun. I DO know exactly where, but that shop has now been closed for a couple decades.

I was too young to legally buy handguns until 1975. My Dad only ever bought himself two handguns, this stainless Single Six and a Stainless Blackhawk in .357. I got a 1911 for Christmas 1972 after I got home from USAF Small Arms Instructor tech school, and then in either '73 or '74 Dad got me a 4" Smith M19. Apparently while dealing for the M19, Dad got the bug to own a single action (I guess he was an old-school cowboy movie fan, or something) and bought, much to my surprise, the stainless Blackhawk. I think at some point thereafter, the gun shop called him up and said "We just got in a couple stainless Single Sixes, you want one?" He went out and looked at them and I do remember this part of the story: They had both a 5 1/2" and a 6 1/2" and he looked at them and decided on the 5 1/2". They sent the 14-day paperwork off to the state police and by the time the papers came back he'd changed his mind and wanted the 6 1/2" (I suppose to match his Blackhawk) so the dealer just changed the serial number on the police papers before final submission. (That was acceptable in those days--today you'd have to start the whole process over again from scratch.) When he called and told me he'd bought it I though he was confused about what he'd bought because the stainless Single Six hadn't been announced yet. The next month, or maybe two months later, the stainless SS was written up in all the gun rags and I remember checking and his SN was lower than any of the gun mag test pieces.

Snake45 said:
Ale-8(1) said:
Snake, it's a New Model from 1973 or 1974, depending on the actual number . . . the earliest New Model of the Super Single Six.

Earliest known stainless numbers are 62-55535 to 63-93214.

Above info from the RENE Reference of Ruger Firearms.

:)
So I guess it's not 439XX, then. (Or if it is, it's REALLY early).

Ale, if you want to email me, I'll email you back the raw pics and you can see for yourself what you think, but I'm not openly posting full SNs.

Hey, it possibly COULD be 62-439XX or 63-439xx . . . the "known" number ranges from RENE aren't cast in stone, and the list I have is a few years old so the range could have been expanded by later discoveries, such as yours.

Yes, I'll e-mail you.

:mrgreen:

street

Hunter
Get Wood said:
Street, There Is No Prefix No. And It Is A 3 Screw...
Then it's not a stainless steel model. Ruger made no old model revolvers in stainless steel. Unless you count the Black power guns!

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Street, I Never Said It Came From The Factory. But I Know What I Have. How It Came About I Don't Know. I Got It At A Gun Auction. And Someone Did An EXCELLANT JOB.

if it "looks" like stainless, it just may be one of the finishes available back then, Armaloy, Metalife SS0 etc,. when we had our shops back then we have many done by Ron Mahovsky over in Reno,PA....good job, long lasting and LOOKS just like stainless steel, and is much harder........
gotta go by the RENE , unless you have the original bill of sale AND all the "packaging" from the factory,otherwise its all "Ruger lore",,,,these guns ALL "have a story"... 8) :roll: :wink:

street

Hunter
Get Wood said:
Street, I Never Said It Came From The Factory. But I Know What I Have. How It Came About I Don't Know. I Got It At A Gun Auction. And Someone Did An EXCELLANT JOB.
Sorry, Not trying to get anything started. I know you didn't say it was factory , but you also didn't say it wasn't factory. I just didn't want any of the new members to think that Ruger made any Old Models in Stainless Steel. I once saw an Old Model Flattop in .41 Mag. in Stainless Steel. Of course some one ground the ears off and made a Flattop as Ruger didn't make any .41 Mag. in a Flattop. They also didn't make any Old Model .41 Mag. in Stainless Steel. Someone put a finish on that gun to make it look as if it was Stainless Steel. They did a very good job as you could not tell it from Stainless.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Thanks Dan, When I See Radical Again I Will Give Him Pictures And See If He Will Post Them For Me. As It Is A Sweet Looking 3 Screw...Like I Said It Is A Very Good Job.....

radicalrod

Hunter
Here is the pics of GOT WOODS gun.....
epjj2Rk.jpg

89qkkJJ.jpg

I agree with Dan I think it has been refinished.....sure looks nice...RR

yessir, nice gun, nice pics....and the grips are J Scott #24 ( XR-3) with the wood backing.......would have been nice if after the guns steel was refinished they could have put on an Old Army stainless grip frame and made a stainless ejector housing fit, then it would be really neat...........
nice gun, nice job......

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Thanks Guys. That's What I Thought When I Saw It At The Gun Auction. I Find It Unique And Nice To Look At.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Finally got in touch with my son today. The SN on my Dad's early stainless Single Six is 62-935XX. The sales receipt in the box was dated July 13, 1974.

Went digging through my old gun magazines the other day. The brand new stainless Single Six was announced and written up in the November 1974 issue of Shooting Times, which probably appeared on the stands around late September. My Dad probably got his around the same time Skeeter did, maybe even a little before. :wink:

I misremembered about when Dad bought the stainless Blackhawk. I thought he got it before the SS, but son says it's a "200th Year" gun which of course means 1976. I had the barrel length wrong, too--it's a 4 5/8". (I've only ever seen that gun a couple times, and I'm pretty sure I've never shot it.)