Rechambering .44 Special Bisleys

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Over on the Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) site, a member is selling a pair of stainless .44 Special Bisleys. Another poster stated that these could be rechambered to .44 Magnum. Looking at the Lipsey's site, these are built on the medium .357 frame. I posted that this was a conversion that should never happen.

Where do folks get these ideas anyway?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I agree, shouldn't be done!

When Ruger was testing its 1st 44 Mag Ruger prototype they tried the med frame and blew it up. Of course they're testing with 'blue pill' loads. Just between you and me, with factory mag loads it would probably survive. But I would never do it and it sure wouldn't be much fun to shoot.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Nor would there be much point in it. A judiciously loaded .44 Special will handle just about any job the Magnum is suited for anyway.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
I agree, shouldn't be done!

When Ruger was testing its 1st 44 Mag Ruger prototype they tried the med frame and blew it up. Of course they using 'blue pill' loads. Just between you and me, with factory mag loads it would probably survive. But I would never do it and it sure wouldn't be much fun to shoot.
I agree, it probably would. Of course, cartridge length is going to be a limitation too. Brian Pearce even had USFA rechamber one of their .44Spl SAA's to .44Mag and it does fine with standard loads.

TRanger said:
Nor would there be much point in it. A judiciously loaded .44 Special will handle just about any job the Magnum is suited for anyway.
I wouldn't go 'quite' that far but it is very capable. Heavy bullets and an extra 10,000psi (over the Keith load) take the .44Mag to a much higher place.

Mus408

Hunter
I don't see the point in converting to .44 Mag either. You will most likely shoot the .44 Special or down load the Magnum to enjoying shooting more!

Mus408 said:
I don't see the point in converting to .44 Mag either. You will most likely shoot the .44 Special or down load the Magnum to enjoying shooting more!

I shoot a lot of 44mags in my Redhawk and Super Blackhawk! Always use Standard loads never load down! Heck 44 mag is not that bad! :D

71shooter

Single-Sixer
In his article on the Flattop 44 special Bisley, Ross Seyfried loaded and recommended loading them to a max of 30k psi. Ruger overbuilds everything, and I think these new model flattop's can probably handle a steady diet of the current 44mag SAAMI max of 36k psi. I feel like I have a pretty informed opinion on this, but would you really seriously entertain the opinion of some random guy on the internet? I definitely would not!!! Look, 25k, (which is about where Elmer took Colt SAA 44spls), will get you over 1200fps with a 250 grain cast SWC, which is about where most standard commercial 44 mag loads run these days anyway, so I don't see the point in loading much over 25k psi. Brian Pierce has published a lot of 25k psi 44 special loads in Handloader magazine over the last 20 years. Among those loads, one can do just about anything one needs to do with a 44 special or 44 mag. You can get a 280 grain LBT to almost 1200fps and a 305 LBT to almost 1100. Those two bullets at those velocities can pass all the way through Elk on broadside lungshots within 100 yards. If you need more punch than that, I suggest moving up to a bigger hammer. For me, that would be heavy 45 colt loads. BTW, all of those Brian Pierce 25k psi 44spl loads can be found at loaddata.com.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Sounds like you'd be better off buying a Bisley in .44 Mag, if you need the extra power.

For me, .44 SPL and .357 do everything I might need a handgun to do - in that order, by personal preference - and if I need more power than that I'll cheerfully step up to a rifle.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Mus408 said:
Is the .44 Special Bisley cylinder the same length as the .44 Magnum?

No. They are typically just a few thousandths longer than a SAA cylinder and just a little shorter than the USFA cylinders.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Did the post on singleactions state "rechamber" or "convert"? a person could safely convert the medium frame to .44 mag by use of a 5-shot cylinder.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
c.r. said:
Did the post on singleactions state "rechamber" or "convert"? a person could safely convert the medium frame to .44 mag by use of a 5-shot cylinder.

Not a bad idea, But not necessary. If I recall correctly, the new Vaquero and flattop 44 Spl cylinders are 4140 hardened to 38Rc. A new custom six shot cylinder hardened to 42Rc should work for 44 mag just fine. Great western made 44 mags on colt size cylinders. Most were slightly longer than SAA cylinders, but same diameter. Colt made a dozen, or so, prototype 44 mag New Frontiers. All have standard diameter cylinders. There are tougher alloys available, as well, but they are just harder to machine.