What is the appeal of the Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

338reddog

Single-Sixer
I dont want to start any arguments. But I wonder what draws you to a vaquero.
is that it seem more like an original Colt? I have had a few that I wish I had kept. I had a 32 H&R birds head and a 45 stainless Bisley. I just seem to like the adjustable sights and dont plan on Cowboy action shooting. So for me there is not a huge appeal. If I were to buy another it would be a
Large frame in 45. I do like Colts, so there is some similarities that make sence to me. I never did shoot the ones that I owned before they were traded off, that maybe would have made me appreciate them more. Im just looking for a diffrent point of view.
Jeff

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I like rugers. They're robust and a good value. I had original Vaqueros in 44 Mag, I shot 44 spls. But their too heavy. Now have two mid size New Vaqueros, 45 & 44 Spl. They're closer to a Colt and I like them but hardly shoot them.

I rather shoot my Colt SAAs and it takes awhile to cycle thru all 15. I don't shoot everyday. I have to reload several different calibers/cartridges.

Like to shoot my Ruger flat top 44s, 38-40, and 22 & 32 SSMs.

I like Vaquero's. I'm in my late 60's, and like others here and a lot of places from that are in their 60's and 70's they grew up with the cowboy TV shows. Yes they are "like" the Colt SA's some are heavier, some are closer to the real size. If you also grew up with full size blackhawks, and such they feel very much the same. I'm torn, personally, on the one hand I like adjustable sights so I can adjust as needed, but I like being out in the woods with a fixed sight cowboy gun, where if you drop it you aren't going to break a part of the sights off. They are strong guns, and simple to operate. I started shooting a Ruger Single action back in the mid '60's. After all these years they point very well for me. I trust and count on that.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
A bit more elegant than a Blackhawk with the fixed sights. I have both, but unless doing longer distance shooting, I grab the Vaquero.

charlesappel said:
The Lone Ranger, Tonto, The Cisco Kid, Annie Oakley, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Gene Autry, Audie Murphy, Harry Carey...

what he said above, and with the Rugers, they are stronger !!! 8) :wink:

and what Hondo says, the NEW Vaquero are more to our liking......feels GOOD :roll:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
..........The Lone Ranger, Tonto, The Cisco Kid, Annie Oakley, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Gene Autry, Audie Murphy, Harry Carey...

....all carried Colts or Great Western revolvers.

Bob Wright

338reddog

Single-Sixer
I also like Rugers and most of my handgun and rifles are Ruger. I really like revolvers and have a few Bisley models. My closest to a Vaquero would be my fixed sight 32 H&R and Im always trying to figure out a adjustable sight for it. I also do not see many Vaquero models in my neck of the woods. I may need to shoot a couple,which may lead to wanting a few. At the age of 48 my eyes are not seeing sights very well and im afraid the fixed sight maybe even more difficult.

Rclark

Hunter
If you don't know, then it really is hard to tell some one why :) . You might say it goes all the way back to percussion revolvers and the first Colts. The original and New Vaqueros hearken to another era which appeals to me. The Ruger is also 'affordable'. Compare to get getting a Genuine 'Colt' revolver. As someone quoted ... Rugers are "working men's guns". Not saying you could get an Italian copy.... But I really prefer Rugers for center fire revolvers. Also the ROA for some percussion shooting. Note I also shoot BP in the Vaqueros as well... They are robust. They shoot quite well after tweaking them to get it to shoot to POA with an accurate favorite load. No rear sight to knock around. Simple. As a man that enjoys the o' West from the real history to the Hollywood romanticized West, these guns are a joy to shoot. Great knockaround guns for camping, fishing, hiking, etc. The dirty Harry style of revolver holds no appeal what-so-ever. Yuck... These guns do. Like I said, it's really hard to explain. Either ya do ... or ya don't.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Same here - in a more robust package...

2621-AA13-C1-A6-4-CAF-AD89-E1-BD48939194.jpg

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Agree with Rclark, Pistolero and Armybrat. I pick up a DA revolver (just about any modern made ones) and they do nothing for me on an emotional level; might as well be holding a screwdriver or a toaster. I pick up a Ruger Vaquero (I prefer the larger first gen ones) and it's like stepping into another dimension; part history, part myth, part Hollywood! I thought Colts would do the same for me (as they were actually there!), but surprisingly they didn't; I then realized I had come to appreciate the great strength/durability/reliability of the Vaqueros as well.
I've shot Ruger Blackhawks, but I don't have a problem with fixed sights and prefer the lines/asthetics of the fixed sight Vaquero.

Coop

Blackhawk
My wife and I have been shooting our four .357 Vaqueros since 1998 in SASS/CAS competitions. Each of them have over 11,000 rounds shot thru them over beaucoup CAS matches. They are single action revolvers required by SASS rules. They are easy to shoot, easy to clean, and are basic functioning handguns, DUH, representing the Old West. IMO, it does not get any better than this scenario. They are "bullet proof" (pardon the pun) and totally reliable to go "bang" when the trigger is pulled.

If you want a "spray and pray" firearm, it is not a firearm for you.

Not totally off subject but what is a fair selling price on a Ruger/Talo 44 mag Vaquero? Has Birdshead grips, high polish stainless steel, 3 3/4" barrel, around 100 rounds fired, excellent shooter.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
Bob Wright said:
..........The Lone Ranger, Tonto, The Cisco Kid, Annie Oakley, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Gene Autry, Audie Murphy, Harry Carey...

....all carried Colts or Great Western revolvers.

Bob Wright

True, but the appeal of the Vaquero is the look and feel. It looks like the old western revolvers carried by the cowboy heroes of my youth. It handles better than my Fanner Fifty too. That is why I like them.
I'm also pleased that it doesn't cost as much as the real thing and has a safer action that can be carried with all chambers loaded.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I'd much rather carry a Vaquero than a Black Hawk. Nothing to go wrong.
I've always felt adjustable handgun sights are vastly overrated for field use. Animals never stand at exact ranges, so you are still holding high or low. I can do that with fixed sights as easily as adjustable.

Armybrat said:
Same here - in a more robust package...

2621-AA13-C1-A6-4-CAF-AD89-E1-BD48939194.jpg
I bought a Vaquero color case hardened with the faux ivory grips back in 2004, and was headed I thought to work in Alaska. Sure looked pretty, but I sold it because I wanted a RedHawk! :roll: My bad!
gramps