Service Six vs Speed Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wagsfn

Bearcat
Last week I had the carpet yanked from underneath me concerning the purchase of a nice stainless steel 4" Speed Six. So, now I'm on a quest to locate another Speed Six. I'm finding Service Six revolvers also.

Does anyone have a particular preference between the two other than round vs square butt? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

wagsfn said:
Last week I had the carpet yanked from underneath me concerning the purchase of a nice stainless steel 4" Speed Six. So, now I'm on a quest to locate another Speed Six. I'm finding Service Six revolvers also.

Does anyone have a particular preference between the two other than round vs square butt? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

There's not a whole lot of difference, other than the round butt is slightly easier to conceal, and for me, the round corners of the Speed Six are slightly more comfortable to shoot.

I've got both, they both work fine for me. There are lots of grips out there if you don't like the factory grips. If you don't have a problem with the grips of a Security Six, you won't have any problem with the Service Six. They are both the same. To me what's more important is Condition, barrel length you are looking for, for the intended purpose, blue or stainless, cost of the piece, and what grips are on it. Like I said, grips can be changed to make it more comfortable for your particular feel, in the hand. Good luck.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
Also, unless you find a rare one, the security six will have adjustable sights and the speed six will have fixed sights. I have the 2 3/4 " and 4" barrels in both models and they are great revolvers.

I've seen a lot more 2.75" Speed Sixes and a lot more 4" Service Sixes. Don't think I've ever seen a Speed Six 4" in the flesh. I do have a 2.75" Service Six in my accumulation, though.
Given the choice, I prefer a Speed Six grip to the square butt Service/Security Six style.

bogus bill

Hunter
As a lockheed aircraft company guard we we armed with 4" stainless speed six`s years ago. I liked the rounded grip.

edlmann

Blackhawk
unionprez said:
Also, unless you find a rare one, the security six will have adjustable sights and the speed six will have fixed sights.
Yep.

OS13RgC.jpg

bogus bill

Hunter
We were issued 4" colt OP`s and S&W 586`s besides the speed sixs. I found the speed sixs far more comfortable in the hand than either the colts or smiths. It seemed the most natural to me. Although they were a little heavier to pack than the colts. I am really more of a S&W guy but with the target grips and enclosed ejector housings the smiths were the heaviest and most bulky to pack. Every time I had a choice I chose the colts to pack.
Now the bad. I handed off my speed six to a lady guard that was my relief. They were company owned guns. I had opened it properly and handed it to her with the cylinder opened. She flicked it shut with a one handed flick of her wrist ala grade B gangsta movie. Soon as she did I admonished her "You don't close a gun that way!" With that she complained there was "sumpin wrong with the gun." I took the gun back and sure enough, the crane was sprung and the cylinder would`nt lock up. I was there 35 years, we passed the guns to our reliefs all three shifts year round. That was the only time I seen one of our gun`s damaged that way. I suspect the colts and smiths were slammed shut too sometimes by newbys as we were a huge department, they had to be.