Aluminum Bisley Gripframe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
Hi Folks.

I like the feel of the bisley grip frame rugers but find them heavy. I always wonder why ruger don't make them like they do with the plow handled one. It sure would make the gun lighter to use & carry. I would change some of mine over if I could...I always handload my big calibre cartridges light anyway so no need for such a heavy gun.
What are your thoughts about it? Thanks!

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
That makes good sense to me. Particularly since the Bisley grip frame is offered on some of their low and non-recoiling calibers. I prefer the grip for the way it fits my hand primarily and recoil management is secondary to that.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Personally, if the difference in weight is such a biggie, maybe going to a smaller framed model altogether is a better idea. The Bisley is for the heavier recoiling stuff more than anything so that weight helps with that.

One of the gunsmiths tried an aluminum bisley grp frame and my understanding is it did not stand up to the recoil of the large caliber 5 shot gun it was installed on. Since the maker has no control over which gun one ends up on like a 475 or 500 Linebaugh, he bagged the idea.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I deplore the use of aluminum alloy on my revolvers. I prefer all steel, blued and case hardened. I do tolerate, and in fact enjoy, brass on some guns. But aluminum, ZAMAK, or plastic has no place on my sixguns. That's the way God and Sam Colt intended.

Bob Wright

tom black

Blackhawk
Bob Wright you are wise beyond your years. I agree with you 100%. One of the big reasons I love my Bisley FT 44 Specials is because they are blued steel. Every Marlin rifle I've ever owned I've removed those ghastly white line spacers.
Tom Black

I am with mr. Wright, I'll have mine dipped in steel if I have the option. One reason I prefer the Bisley besides the comfort of the grip, I know I have Steel. On any other Blackhawk if I could have my choice, and I'm talkin on Lower recoiling guns, I would take the steel Super Blackhawk frame I just wish it had a rounded trigger guard.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I can definitely see the utility in a lightweight Bisley. It makes perfect sense to me. Look at how light and easily carried the blued .45 Blackhawk is. Now make it as comfortable to shoot as a Bisley. Best of both worlds. Not unlike Dennis Madriaga's aluminum grip framed Bisley .45 convertible.

Alloy%20Bisley%2001.jpg

November

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
I can definitely see the utility in a lightweight Bisley. It makes perfect sense to me. Look at how light and easily carried the blued .45 Blackhawk is. Now make it as comfortable to shoot as a Bisley. Best of both worlds. Not unlike Dennis Madriaga's aluminum grip framed Bisley .45 convertible.

Alloy%20Bisley%2001.jpg

That's awesome Craig, where did Dennis get the aluminum Bisley gripframe? That's a beautiful revolver!

Enigma

Hunter
I have personally seen an aluminum grip frame that broke in two. I was not present when it happened, so I only know what I was told happened. Have you ever seen a broken steel grip frame? Neither have I.

I'll admit, an aluminum Bisley would be neat on a lightweight custom, low-recoiling sixgun like the custom .45 pictured above. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone would hang one on a gun not suited for it, and then want to sue when it broke.

Brass is what we need, not aluminum.

cas6969

Buckeye
I hate XR3-Red's and they're not real fond of XR3's either. I love the Bisley's but an alloy one would work nice on Single Six's and low recoil Blackhawks. With modern CNC I'm surprised no one how churned out a bunch.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I don't care for any alum alloy parts on guns. But that's not what you came here for. You might want to Google around for alum Bisley GFs.

However, you may want to rethink this other idea in the original response to your query; one that anyone can do themselves. Lightened steel, there's even room to drill more holes to get it down to alloy weight.

2015-10-12%2B22_10_35-Bisley%2BOld%2BModel%2BLightweight%2B327_32-20%2BREVEALED%2521%2B_%2BSingle-Actions.jpg

Owner and photo credit: 2 dogs

There is some good discussion in that thread here if you recall: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=261183

If you weigh a steel XR3-RED size steel grip, then it's alloy version and calculate the % of weight difference, you can weigh a steel Bisley grip and use that percentage to calculate the weight of what the Bisley would weigh made out of alloy. Then you'll know the weight reduction you need to shoot for by drilling holes.

A lightened steel grip frame sure eliminates the issue of matching the finish to the rest of the gun and the low durability of alloy finishes.

Latest posts