Aluminum Bisley Gripframe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
wildcatter said:
I am with mr. Wright, I'll have mine dipped in steel if I have the option. One reason I prefer the Bisley besides the comfort of the grip, I know I have Steel. On any other Blackhawk if I could have my choice, and I'm talkin on Lower recoiling guns, I would take the steel Super Blackhawk frame I just wish it had a rounded trigger guard.

Ruger does make a SBH grip frame with round guard which is standard on the SBH Hunter models. True, it's only made in stainless, but you can just have it blued.

Here's one I used on an original large frame 45 Vaquero:
medium800.jpg

November

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
I don't care for any alum alloy parts on guns. But that's not what you came here for. You might want to Google around for alum Bisley GFs.

However, you may want to rethink this other idea in the original response to your query; one that anyone can do themselves. Lightened steel, there's even room to drill more holes to get it down to alloy weight.

2015-10-12%2B22_10_35-Bisley%2BOld%2BModel%2BLightweight%2B327_32-20%2BREVEALED%2521%2B_%2BSingle-Actions.jpg

Owner and photo credit: 2 dogs

There is some good discussion in that thread here if you recall: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=261183

If you weigh a steel XR3-RED size steel grip, then it's alloy version and calculate the % of weight difference, you can weigh a steel Bisley grip and use that percentage to calculate the weight of what the Bisley would weigh made out of alloy. Then you'll know the weight reduction you need to shoot for by drilling holes.

A lightened steel grip frame sure eliminates the issue of matching the finish to the rest of the gun and the low durability of alloy finishes.

Excellent info Hondo, thanks.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Enigma said:
I have personally seen an aluminum grip frame that broke in two. I was not present when it happened, so I only know what I was told happened. Have you ever seen a broken steel grip frame? Neither have I.

I'll admit, an aluminum Bisley would be neat on a lightweight custom, low-recoiling sixgun like the custom .45 pictured above. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone would hang one on a gun not suited for it, and then want to sue when it broke.

Brass is what we need, not aluminum.
Ruger has been using aluminum grip frames for 66yrs. I've heard a story or two of them cracking but never seen one or even a picture. I would not conclude that aluminum is unsuitable for a Bisley grip frame based on so little information. I seem to recall that Bowen's super lightweight .50AE Blackhawk had an aluminum grip frame. You really think brass is stronger than aluminum? Linebaugh is putting brass on .475's and .500's so I think aluminum should be okay.

I wouldn't take a dozen brass Bisley grip frames if they were free. I don't care for the look and brass is heavier than steel.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
This is waaaay off topic, but the holey grip frame reminded me of a time when I was working. There was talk of using a "castleated beam." What, I had to ask, was this?

Seems they cut a steel wide flange beam in two and welded it back together to make a deeper lightweight beam. Say what? I asked.

By cutting a steel wide flange in a certain pattern, then positioning it a certain way, resulted in a beam of increased depth but having the same weight per foot. It was left having hexagonal openings every so spaced along its web.

As I said, way off topic, but still...............

Bob Wright

gunzo

Hunter
Yes Bob, those beams are used. I've seen them on overhead cranes. But same as the holey grip frame, was for weight reduction. The heavier the beams, the lower the lifting capacity of the crane. Trade-offs.

gunzo

Hunter
On the brass vs.alum, that's just personal preference for looks.

But otherwise, Craig brought up good points. Ruger has used aluminum grip frames & shooters have been punishing them for years. Especially when the 45 Colt BH came out in '70. That being able to provide more backward thrust that previous calibers using aluminum.

Now, "aluminum" is a broad statement.. I've cut some types that would peel, bend & gum up. Others that had no elasticity & would crack or break at any notion of bending. Then some beautiful stuff that cut well, was heat treatable, & had unbelievable wear resistance. I'm convinced Bisley grip frame can be made from a certain type of aluminum, put on the big boomers, & live..
But, it's been discussed for years on several different forums & it probably just isn't gonna fly. Just not enough interest for anyone to tool up to do it. IMO

With machine tools getting better all the time, it might be interesting to let a good programmer have another look. What was 4 or 5 hour operation a decade or 2 ago might be greatly reduced with newer equipment.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
Lots of good feedback here folks...

I have plow handle aluminum grip frame blackhawks in 45's & on a 30 carbine. Just can't seem to wonder why never in the aluminum bisley configuration. I installed bisley parts on one of my short barreled .32 mag guns & it feels great but a bit heavier, than it would be with the aluminum grip frame.
Perhaps some drill holes in the steel gripframe may be a faster answer, than waiting for the aluminum bisley gripframe....

Thanks for all the good responses,...I appreciate them! 8)

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I would like to see both the Ruger Bisley and NM XR3 become available in a high quality aluminum alloy. I am very fond of the Ruger old and new model mid/357 frame guns in 44 special and 45 Colt (old models in these calibers are custom, obviously.). With aluminum grip frames they can all be made to weigh well under 36oz, which I like when packing in the mountains. I love blued steel, but sometimes utility has to winout. A well fitted quality aluminum grip frame treated in the newest super-durable cerekote would look like steel and be very durable, as well.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
71shooter said:
I would like to see both the Ruger Bisley and NM XR3 become available in a high quality aluminum alloy.

A NM XR3 alloy grip frame is simple; any OLD Model alloy or steel grip frames can be easily adapted to NEW Model guns with simple modifications:

1. Drill a hole in the OM grip frame above the trigger guard for the cyl bolt NM plunger & return spring. Replicate the location of the hole from the NM GF.

2. Grind off the spring shelf web on the back of the NM trigger and use the OM trigger return spring and plunger in the OM grip frame.

3. For other than the SBH and Old Army black powder grip frames with wide slots, the OM GF trigger slot must be widened, or the NM trigger must be narrowed, the your choice. You may have to lengthen the rear of the slot just a bit for the trigger to go far enough back to release the hammer. Makes a great trigger stop too if you lengthen the slot just the right amount. There you have it, piece 'o cake.

71shooter

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
71shooter said:
I would like to see both the Ruger Bisley and NM XR3 become available in a high quality aluminum alloy.

A NM XR3 alloy grip frame is simple; any OLD Model alloy or steel grip frames can be easily adapted to NEW Model guns with simple modifications:

1. Drill a hole in the OM grip frame above the trigger guard for the cyl bolt NM plunger & return spring. Replicate the location of the hole from the NM GF.

2. Grind off the spring shelf web on the back of the NM trigger and use the OM trigger return spring and plunger in the OM grip frame.

3. For other than the SBH and Old Army black powder grip frames with wide slots, the OM GF trigger slot must be widened, or the NM trigger must be narrowed, the your choice. You may have to lengthen the rear of the slot just a bit for the trigger to go far enough back to release the hammer. Makes a great trigger stop too if you lengthen the slot just the right amount. There you have it, piece 'o cake.

I did not know that such an adaptation is possible! Thanks for sharing! I'm guessing that one has to file down the back of the cylinder frame to get the ears of grip frame to line up properly. Not the end of the world, but not for the faint of heart either.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
71shooter said:
I did not know that such an adaptation is possible! Thanks for sharing! I'm guessing that one has to file down the back of the cylinder frame to get the ears of grip frame to line up properly. Not the end of the world, but not for the faint of heart either.

It depends on the vintage of the new model:

Grip Frame Ear Change to be aware of: the ear height around the base of the hammer varies on all grip frame ears slightly due to hand fitting at the factory, but there was one specific big height increase. To simplify production in 1997, Ruger increased the height of the standard cylinder frame mating surfaces on both sides of the hammer 1/16" to match the Bisley model frame ears so any style grip frame could be assembled to any main frame. Therefore the ears on all the other standard plow handle grip frames after 1997 had to be made ~ 1/16" taller as well. So there's basically two sizes of the STANDARD plow handle grip frames: as short as .530" pre 1997 and as tall as .590" after 1997 (for example: Original Vaqueros above serial range 56-XXXXX). Measure from the very top edge of the grip panel to the top of the ears. That's why standard grip frame swaps are simplified if any acquired grip frame matches the vintage of your Ruger that you want to put it on. This also affects the standard hammer base fit to the grip frame ears on plow handle grip frames, except new hammers designed after 1997, like the New Vaquero and New model flat top Blackhawks.

cas6969

Buckeye
I've seen a handful of broken aluminum grip frames over the years, I think almost all of them having used Hogue rubber mono grips on them. I suppose it changed the geometry and gives added leverage to break them. (probably like a Bisley would be) Of course you could beef up an aluminum grip and still be lighter than steel.

The hole filled Bisley is neat, but in reality it probably didn't change it enough to notice in hand, without a scale.

CraigC

Hawkeye
cas said:
I've seen a handful of broken aluminum grip frames over the years, I think almost all of them having used Hogue rubber mono grips on them. I suppose it changed the geometry and gives added leverage to break them. (probably like a Bisley would be) Of course you could beef up an aluminum grip and still be lighter than steel.
That would make sense. The monogrip drops the hand considerably lower on the gun and would add significant leverage against the grip frame.

olesj

Bearcat
Never understood why no one has done either and aluminum or titanium aftermarket grip frame. From .45 colt on down it makes a lot of sense. More sense than say the smith and wesson 329.

~Jason

71shooter

Single-Sixer
olesj said:
Never understood why no one has done either and aluminum or titanium aftermarket grip frame. From .45 colt on down it makes a lot of sense. More sense than say the smith and wesson 329.

~Jason

I couldn't agree more!

Latest posts