Advice needed on rebuild or part out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmc25

Single-Sixer
Picked up these parts long ago and was planning to rebuild a Single Six. Never had enough time and now medical issues do not allow any yourself work.
1. XR3 gripframe only. No mainspring, loading gate, etc.
2. Frame #658xx with 5 1/2" barrel attached - no other parts (deep wrench gouges where the previous owner tried to remove the barrel himself. #%$@ goes here.)
3. Additional 5 1/2" barrel as a replacement (don't know the manufacture date and have not miked the barrel).
4. OM 22 cylinder
5. OM trigger, hammer and cylinder pin
6. Factory hard rubber grips. Decent shape.

The rebuilt gun would then be reblued.

So, how available and what are the remaining missing parts I would need? If unobtainium then my question is answered.

rmc

G2

Hunter
1. Main spring strut assembly. $20
2. Loading gate, plunger, spring & plug screw. $25
3. Cylinder latch & spring. $15
4. Pawl, plunger & spring. $15
5. 3 action screws. $15
6. 5 grip frame screws. $15
7. Drift rear sight. $15 (this can be a hard part to find)
8. ERH assembly & screw. $40
9. Cylinder pin latch assembly $15

All of the parts are out there, it's just going to be a Rodeo. My estimate ~$175.

If it were me and the decision to re-blue has been made, I would get the loading gate parts installed (no biggie) & ERH assembly, send it to Ruger have them do the barrel swap, re-blue and safety conversion. They are going to supply most of the small parts for not a lot of $$ and the price of there re-blue is cheap,,,imo.

When it comes back you could re-install the OM action if desired.

Your parts are worth estimate;
1. Grip Frame $60
2. Decent shape Grips $60
3. Cylinder frame $50
4. Cylinder $60
5. Extra barrel $35
6. Trigger $15
7. Hammer $40

Total $320

So do you spend 250-300 to get it back together, converted & re-blued.
-Or-
Sell the lot of parts for $300.
-Then-
Add the $300 you were going to spend to re-build, giving you ~$600 which will buy a nice Original condition OM, that if properly cared for will keep going up in value and desirability.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'd build it, but then I like creating things, not destroying things. But that's just me. :wink:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I can give no account for it, but I'm not so enthusiastic about Single Sixes in .22 R.F. I do prefer the centerfire Single Actions.

But, I reckon if I had the basics, frame and barrel, then I'd I try a rebuild.

Funny, but Nita (my beloved wife) once saw a hammer from a Ruger Blackhawk on my desk. She asked me, "Is that going to evolve into a gun?"

(It hasn't yet.)

Come to think of it, that Single Six could have a centerfire firing pin installed and made into a .32 or even a .38 Special.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Come to think of it, wasn't it Lyle Kilbourn or maybe Frank DeHaas, who a few years back built a Single Six into a .25 K-Hornet?

The cartridge was based on the .22 K-Hornet cartridge cut back to accept .25 caliber bullets. Someone refresh my memory, please.

Bob Wright

I don't have a Hornet ctg. and an SS cylinder to check, but I think a full .25 Hornet (which is just a Hornet case blown out or necked up to .257) would be too long for an SS cylinder? If so, the SS .25 conversion would have had to have a neck trim, as you mention.

The .25 Hornet might be the oldest wildcat, spawned by reboring rusted-out .22 WCF barrels 'way back before the Hornet was conceived.

.22 WCF is the parent case of the Hornet, first offered in 1885 with the Winchester Single Shot. It was a blackpowder cartridge and many of them were abused w/black powder over the years and needed a "refresh". Some were cut out to other factory calibers, for sure, but a few were simply rebored to .257 and had .22 WCF cases blown out to .25. It's easy and makes a mild little small game killer somewhere between the .25 Stevens RF and the .25-20 WCF.

An added advantage is that it won't take a Ballard orStevens Model 44 "Ideal" action apart like a Hornet or similar pressure ctg. can.

G2 said:
If it were me and the decision to re-blue has been made, I would get the loading gate parts installed (no biggie) & ERH assembly, send it to Ruger have them do the barrel swap, re-blue and safety conversion.

I'd check with Ruger before taking that approach. We have seen a few instances where Ruger has received guns for much simpler reasons only to have them say the gun's "unsafe" or "unrepairable" and will not be returned.

Just a consideration.

:mrgreen:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
G2 said:
If it were me and the decision to re-blue has been made, I would get the loading gate parts installed (no biggie) & ERH assembly, send it to Ruger have them do the barrel swap, re-blue and safety conversion.

I'd check with Ruger before taking that approach. We have seen a few instances where Ruger has received guns for much simpler reasons only to have them say the gun's "unsafe" or "unrepairable" and will not be returned.

Just a consideration.

:mrgreen:

I agree. Once the gun leaves the Ruger factory, it is best never to let them get their hands on it again.

I only trust my Rugers (and Colts) to my gunsmith.

Bob Wright

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Bob Wright said:
Funny, but Nita (my beloved wife) once saw a hammer from a Ruger Blackhawk on my desk. She asked me, "Is that going to evolve into a gun?"

(It hasn't yet.)

Heck, I've had brass picked up at the range evolve into a gun!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
Bob Wright said:

(It hasn't yet.)

Heck, I've had brass picked up at the range evolve into a gun!

Thanks for the tip!

Bob Wright

Heck, I thought I was the only magician with the power to turn a crusty green fired case into a crusty blue gun!

Please don't anybody tell my wife that I'm not the only one with that juju, because the last time I was walkin' my metal detector up in the Sierra Madre, I found a green .25-35 case....and I feel The Spell comin' on!

hittman

Staff member
I would consider seeing if someone like Bobby Tyler would do the work or ..... offer in the Classified section to trade the parts (plus $$) for a completed original gun like you want.

Single Six's are plentiful and not real expensive except for the low numbered or new-in-box ones, etc.

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
Bob Wright said:
I can give no account for it, but I'm not so enthusiastic about Single Sixes in .22 R.F. I do prefer the centerfire Single Actions.

But, I reckon if I had the basics, frame and barrel, then I'd I try a rebuild.

(It hasn't yet.)

Come to think of it, that Single Six could have a centerfire firing pin installed and made into a .32 or even a .38 Special.

Bob Wright

Well you obviously didn't plant the hammer in the right spot.

Latest posts