Looking to have Ruger Grips Refinished - Recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

westerville

Buckeye
I have an early set of Ruger Super Blackhawk Walnut Grips that I would like to have refinished back to like factory original. Does anyone have recommendations on a grip maker/refinisher? Thanks in advance.

grobin

Blackhawk
If you are not talking deep chips or large cracks you can remove grunge and minor blemishes with BW Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner (https://smile.amazon.com/BW-Casey-S...rds=birchwood+casey+Stock+Sheen+&+Conditioner) it works well and is not difficult to use. I'd follow up with Birchwood Casey True-Oil (https://smile.amazon.com/Birchwood-...rds=birchwood+casey+Stock+Sheen+&+Conditioner) and maybe some wax.

A lot depends on the condition, if major repairs or restoration are needed replacement may be the only option. You will need to send good detailed photos to the refinisher for an estimate. But I'd try the Conditioner first to see what the damage is under accumulated grunge. A while back I did an old 28ga double that looked pretty bad but most of the problem came off with the conditioner. If there is one locally you could also try a furniture restorer (check with a local antique dealer or museum—deal directly with the restorer and ask to see samples of his work).

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I just re-finished a marlin 39 stock and 3 sets of Hogue grips. I don't like the wax finish Hogue puts on they're grips. And the Bisley's needed a little fitting.
I used a teak oil finish. They came out looking good. I all so used the teak oil on a set of walnut BuckMark grips I just got. I think they came with no finish on them at all.
I've used the true oil in the past with good results too.
It isn't hard to do yourself. Those Ruger grips would just need sanded and then decide if you want to use a stain or not. If it was me I wouldn't.
Then apply what ever oil finish you want to use.
I would recommend at least 4 or 5 coats of oil, sanding with 00 steel wool in between each coat after they soak in.

Latest posts