bought a new one in 41mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ga41

Bearcat
I've had a few 41's and just my thought, but the 41 is a killing machine and for jacketed bullets, I've had good success with Nosler 210 for accuracy and killing power. I use H110/WW296 for the powder for top end loads. Welcome

Don Lovel

Hunter
I like the original Winchester 175gr Silvertip Factory loads in the 41. Good deer round. My favorite 41 special velocity load was 15gr of IMR4227 and a 220gr hard linotype base, soft lead top with a small diameter hollowpoint cast bullets that I acquired at a Tulsa gunshow many years ago from an old man who ran a small casting business and he liked 41 Mag guns too. I shot some of them into damp red clay and they mushroomed out pretty good at about 850-900 fps out of a 4 5/8" Bisley conversion I built. I still have some of his 335gr hardcast 45 Colt rounds, but shot up the last of the 41 projectiles and never ran into the old guy ever again, I suppose he is long gone.
I sold off my 41 mag guns, at one time I had an 8 3/8 S&W with silhouette adjustable front sight,a TC Contender with 14" barrel, a 6 1/2 Blackhawk with a 2x Burris scope, and the 4 5/8 I converted to Bisley grip and hammer that was an EDC for a couple of years in a Mernickle holster.
I wish Ruger would make the little Birdshead model in 41. I think with 41 special velocity loads, it would be a real nice gun.
Henry has a Lever in 41 now, I could never afford the Marlin and they were apparently made of unobtanium when I was seriously looking for one.

41magnum

Bearcat
when not running handloads, I been happy with Georgia Arms ammo, the 200 grainers are HARD on whitetails. 250 gr Keith go thru bears and elk,,,,,,just so ya know.
Like ga41, I drop H110 in cases usually...unless Blue Dot is handy.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
This gun has become my favorite, very accurate, today I hit steel at 80 yrds, I've never done that before, started at 100, I'll get there I'm sure, I've found for a general load 8.5 grains of unique, and a 210 gr xtp to be very accurate, and I believe would be effective on deer as well, I have chronographed this at 1050 fps from this 6.5" blackhawk, same bullet with 18 gr 2400 is running 1286 fps, maybe this will get me to the 100 yrds mark , but the unique load sure hit that steel hard at 80. I'm amazed at the accuracy of this caliber, just ordered 3 more boxes of the xtp's. Now for some better weather and longer range sessions.