Why a revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MaxP

Buckeye
Flyover_Country said:
grobin said:
Unfortunately the one big drawback o a revolver is that by and large—except for the BFP—they aren't available in a lot of cartridges. As for h TC and XP100 being impractical there speaks someone who as never used one. I fired a lot of rounds through my XP100 back when I was doing silhouette competition. I took a bunch of deer with it and with the 7mm-08 pistol I upgraded to (I'm still sorry I sold it).

But I like single action revolvers because they are easy to use with the 'point & shoot' technique. Besides they are just fun to shoot, particularly in the heaver calibers—well not so much in 45-70 as 30-30.

Revolvers are chambered in a fairly small number of cartridges, but as long as they cover the spread of the general intended usage of revolvers, then what is the issue? There are hundreds of very slightly different rifle rounds. Many are effectively identical for hunting purposes. You could likely do whatever you wanted to do with only about 10 of them, and half that many if attempting to shoot game beyond 300 yards was not required. For example, a rifle rack containing a .22 LR, .223 Rem, .30-06, .375 H&H, and a .458 Win Mag would be enough to hunt anything on the earth from chipmunk to elephant with an appropriately-sized rifle.

Shotgunners only have 6 gauges even remotely available, and of those 6, two comprise nearly the entire market. You hear no whining that we need an 11 gauge or other unique chamberings despite this lack of selection. Revolvers, like shotguns, can have a fairly wide spread in bullet weight and power level to use the same revolver on different game. The one type of cartridge revolvers generally are not chambered for is a small-caliber, high-velocity round used for silhouette such as the XP100's .221 Fireball. Silhouette is a very different game than hunting, though.

Well said!

grobin

Blackhawk
If revolvers are just for hunting they are pretty limited. I've taken a lot of game with mine but target shoot far more. Revolvers are limited to a few marginally adequate hunting calibers, why live like that? You can live on coffee and burgers if you like. I like more choices.

So there are a lot of rifle calibers that are essentially the same, there are revolver calibers as well so what?

CraigC

Hawkeye
Marginally adequate hunting calibers? How do you figure that???

How many cartridges do we need? With two or three you can take any and all game on the planet.

grobin said:
As for h TC and XP100 being impractical there speaks someone who as never used one.
They are large and heavy. They need optics to justify their bulk, which only adds to the bulk and impracticality. They need a sling or chest rig and don't fit in belt holsters. They can't be drawn and fired with one hand. They can't be drawn and fired at short range quickly. They really need a rest to take advantage of their extended range, much moreso than a rifle. The current trend is to use rifle scopes, very long barrels and portable benchrests. Which again amplifies their impracticality.

MaxP

Buckeye
grobin said:
If revolvers are just for hunting they are pretty limited. I've taken a lot of game with mine but target shoot far more. Revolvers are limited to a few marginally adequate hunting calibers, why live like that? You can live on coffee and burgers if you like. I like more choices.

So there are a lot of rifle calibers that are essentially the same, there are revolver calibers as well so what?

Limited? Really?

Not quite.

IMG_3908.jpg

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
grobin said:

What are you trying to hunt that one of the large-bore magnum revolver cartridges would be only "marginally adequate" for? The only things that one could make a case for this being true would be the largest dangerous African game- for which nearly all rifle cartridges would be insufficient as well.

MaxP

Buckeye
Flyover_Country said:
The only things that one could make a case for this being true would be the largest dangerous African game- for which nearly all rifle cartridges would be insufficient as well.

See above. :mrgreen:

Definitely not inadequate in any way, shape or form as you clearly understand!

I don't think Mr. grobin hunts big game with revolvers.

grobin

Blackhawk
Where revolvers are limited is partially inherant. After all how long a cylinder and barrel you can use practically limits them. (Realistically a 45/70 is about as large as will fit in a usable revolver, but this leaves a lot of good choices. e.g. 7mm-08, 300BLK, 300PRC, •••.)

As for limitations with few exceptions most revolvers are pretty useless at ranges over 50 or so yards. Partially because of cartridge limitations. One friend has a BFR in 45/70 and can group ~3" offhand on a good day, another has a S&W 460 and regularly groups around 1" from a sand bag rest, both are shooting at 100 yards. IMHO a 7mm-08 revolver should do well to 200+ yards.

As for hunting, I don't any more due to arthritus. The largest game I killed with a pistol was a bull elk at just over 85 yards using my 7mm-08. I got 4 white tail and 3 muleys with my 357 Blackhawk. The longest shot was around 60 yards.

One thing I used to enjoy about handgun hunting was, like bow, you have to get close to the game. So far I enjoy long range rifle, but I'm not sure that potting something at 500+ yards is really hunting. (Well for substance hunting it's different.)

Bull Barrel

Hunter
The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi Rive
Grobin nailed it.
Its all about range as far as calibers.
Why a wheelgun?
Maybe it's that connection or romance of the old west.
My first firearm was a 22/45 and the guy who waited on me was the smith. Ha said to him a revolver is a "proper" handgun. I also bought my P89 from him.
I didn't get a revolver until last year. I like em!

MaxP

Buckeye
grobin said:
Where revolvers are limited is partially inherant. After all how long a cylinder and barrel you can use practically limits them. (Realistically a 45/70 is about as large as will fit in a usable revolver, but this leaves a lot of good choices. e.g. 7mm-08, 300BLK, 300PRC, •••.)

As for limitations with few exceptions most revolvers are pretty useless at ranges over 50 or so yards. Partially because of cartridge limitations. One friend has a BFR in 45/70 and can group ~3" offhand on a good day, another has a S&W 460 and regularly groups around 1" from a sand bag rest, both are shooting at 100 yards. IMHO a 7mm-08 revolver should do well to 200+ yards.

As for hunting, I don't any more due to arthritus. The largest game I killed with a pistol was a bull elk at just over 85 yards using my 7mm-08. I got 4 white tail and 3 muleys with my 357 Blackhawk. The longest shot was around 60 yards.

One thing I used to enjoy about handgun hunting was, like bow, you have to get close to the game. So far I enjoy long range rifle, but I'm not sure that potting something at 500+ yards is really hunting. (Well for substance hunting it's different.)

The 50 yard limit is self imposed and patently false. I have a BFR IN .45/70 and while it is a great and effective revolver, it's no more effective than any one of my .454s and quite a bit less packable. I like getting close, but in no way is 50 yards the practical limit. I would respectfully suggest not imposing your limitations on others. JMHO. As a side not, I have killed quite a few animals much larger than a bull elk, and I did it with a variety of cartridges a lot milder than a .45/70.

MaxP

Buckeye
Bull Barrel said:
Grobin nailed it.
Its all about range as far as calibers.
Why a wheelgun?
Maybe it's that connection or romance of the old west.
My first firearm was a 22/45 and the guy who waited on me was the smith. Ha said to him a revolver is a "proper" handgun. I also bought my P89 from him.
I didn't get a revolver until last year. I like em!

He didn't nail anything, but he did expose his rather limited handgun hunting experience, especially with a revolver.

s4s4u

Hunter
As for limitations with few exceptions most revolvers are pretty useless at ranges over 50 or so yards

For you perhaps, but I am very comfortable to 125 yards with my 6" Bisley Ruger in 45 Colt.

CraigC

Hawkeye
50yds?!?!?!?!?!?!? Rifle cartridges?????? Sometimes I read a post and really wonder where people come up with this stuff.

bogus bill

Hunter
Us older guys were brought up reading elmer keith`s stuff. I don't know what the younger generation`s excuse is. I have shot several deer by chance, not on purpose. One with a 357, the other with just a .38. The later was to put a fawn out of its misery that I hit with my rzr trail riding. The first was the opportunity of the moment many years ago. I wouldn't deer hunt on purpose with a handgun any more. Got soft and sympathetic in my old age. Kind of like that tourist that saw a Indian and asked him if he used a bow for hunting. The Indian said, no, that white man way. Injun use um thirty thirty!
Besides target shooting my only use for a handgun now that I am old is I have them for defense.
I figure if I can knock a tin can over at 50 yards it COULD have been a deer or bear as well. I have nothing to prove to anybody by trying a shot on a wild critter at 150 yards with a handgun if I have a rifle available.

grobin said:
This is what you consider capable over some handguns??? sorry but if I have a rhino, Kodiak, or other dangerous game on the menu, I have much better choices in a revolver than you list there, and I won't even include a 45/70!

I think your referring to if you can't get close enough to make it hunting, few experienced handgun hunters would consider 200 yards handgun hunting and no one calls a 7mm-08 a handgun, specialty pistol is more like it. Plus I would not hesitate in most situations if a shot is presented to take most big game out past 100 yards with several different revolvers I own, and for really big game I think even the 45 Colt with 340 grain bullets is a better choice than any of the calibers you have mentioned. Those calibers would be quite light even inside 100 yards!

I have 11 busted Vertebra in my back with 5 fusions and 3 that are pinned and plated, bad eyes, severe arthritis and am in my mid 60's, dam sure more limited than I used to be, but even with my non magnum revolvers can still take whitetail at over 100 yards in the Colt and with just one shot, 87 yards last year, and I don't have to carry any more than a walking stick, which I usually have when I leave the road anyways!

Exactly what has been pointed out, rifle,,, I have seen many that can make that a chip shot with the single shots you mention at 200 even I can with the Encore, but not a handgun, and many well passed 500, but they don't call them handguns,, they refer to them as specialty pistols, not a handgun!

Far to many praise the power of the small under 35 caliber single shots and don't realize they will not kill as quick or clean as most revolvers hunters use for really big game! Make mine a revolver and it will do it's job with ease, as long as I do mine, and that ain't settling for 200 yard shots wuth a specialty pistol, tags wouldn't last long if that were the case.

I am sometimes accused of putting to much faith in some of my revolvers for certain game, but the 45 Colt in the Ruger, even with just 340 grain cast bullets would be my choice over anything under 35 caliber in any single shot inside 50 yards, It will kill as quick, and destroy less meat doing it if your subsistence hunting!

LAH

Buckeye
What is it that keeps me coming back to them?

Simply because I like them better than an auto of any kind & there are auto pistols I love.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Why a revolver? 'Cause I like 'em. I also like single shot shotguns, and bolt action 308's. It's nice to have choices and variety. Shoot what yea like for your reasons.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
OK, I'll throw in my 2 bits. Why revolvers? One simple reason - because I like them. Not good beyond 50 yards? I'm not gonna argue, I don't care. I don't shoot handguns beyond that anyway. Don't get me wrong, I have A LOT of experience shooting semi-auto handguns, including (but certainly not limited to) 1911s, Berettas, H&Ks, S&Ws, etc. And while I have told my students that if you're within 100 yards of me, you're in range (and an adversary would be), I prefer a rifle for longer ranges.

I believe autos have their purposes, and in fact I still use an H&K P2000 SK 9mm for EDC. But for pleasure, I prefer to shoot revolvers. I have several Rugers, mostly in .45. A Blackhawk .45 LC/ACP convertible 4 5/8" that I converted to Bisley, another in .45 LC 7 1/2, a Redhawk .45 LC/ACP, and a .357/9mm convertible. I enjoy shooting them all. They are all accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Plus, I don't have to hunt for brass! I've got an S&W Model 27 .357 8-shot Performance Center as well. I certainly wouldn't feel under-gunned carrying any of them for defense, loaded with appropriate ammo.

I'm not a long range shooter, I don't hunt big game. I just like to shoot. Revolvers. It's not always about potential, or long range capabilities. Sometimes it's just about preference.

wb292

Bearcat
For me it's because it can do mutable jobs. I bought my 4 inch security six used 25 years ago. It has dispatched more coyotes and bobcats trying to eat my chickens than I can remember. Along with using CCI shot shells for snakes it has removed so many threats around here. It has so more value to me than the money it's worth.