Colt brings back the King Cobra

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
I know it's the rugerforum guys, but I am pretty stoked about this!
https://colt.com/detail-page/king-cobra-357

grobin

Blackhawk
I'm happy to see Colt getting back into snakes but can't get enthused about another snubby stubby.

Colt may call it a King Cobra, but it isn't any more of one than that plastic congloberation S&W now calls a Bodyguard is one.
Be better if these gunmakers would quit recycling the names of firearms. Just come up with something new.

gunman42782

Hunter
You know, I was so excited when I first seen it, I didn't even notice it has fixed sights. I wasn't crazy about the 3 inch barrel, but I really am not crazy about fixed sights!

hittman

Staff member
3" barrels are for me about the perfect size ...... unless of course you're talking Ruger and then 2.75" is tops.

Of course I like my 3" GP's too.

Snake45

Hawkeye
bayou5252 said:
Serious question - about how many full house magnum rounds down the tube before it starts to develop end shake?
Six. But now, are you talking about significant end shake, or just enough that you can feel it?

I'd never shoot hotter than .38+P in it anyway, but it's nice to know that it's .357 rated.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
^^^^ Yes, I was thinking along the line of end shake in excess of .002" which beyond that could qualify as significant.

I've had revolvers develop in excess of .002" end shake with as few as 500 full house magnums. On the otherhand, I've had some develop zero end shake with many thousands of rounds of full house magnums down the tube.

Just curious as to what folks think about the stoutness of these new Colts...

DPris

Buckeye
Agree with Arf- this is NOT the "return" of the King Cobra.
Not even close.
Denis

Snake45

Hawkeye
grobin said:
I'm happy to see Colt getting back into snakes but can't get enthused about another snubby stubby.
Disagree strongly. This one fills a niche that's been empty for too long.

Assuming it's built on the D-frame size, it has the smallest possible cylinder that can hold six .38/.357 rounds. Smith K cylinder is the same size, within a few thousandths one way or the other. Colt has built 3" D-frames, but they're rare and not in .357, and I'm not sure they ever did a 3" in stainless. Smith has done 3" K-frames in .38 and .357, but the grip frame is a little longer and the whole gun is significantly heavier than an all-steel Colt D. The new King Cobra thus combines stainless construction, minimal frame/grip size, "just right" weight, and the 3" barrel, which has significant advantages over 2" or even 2.5".

I wish it had a dovetailed front sight, which could be drifted for windage and replaced for elevation, but it looks like the gun should be able to take that. I also wish it had the traditional trigger and trigger guard profile/shape, but functionally, this is exactly what I've been wanting. Maybe the looks will grow on me. With a dovetailed tritium front sight, this could be the PERFECT carry revolver for .38+P--the 21st century incarnation of Chick Gaylord's custom "Metropolitan Special."

Snake45

Hawkeye
DPris said:
Agree with Arf- this is NOT the "return" of the King Cobra.
Not even close.
Denis
Agreed. It should have been given its own distinct name.

DPris

Buckeye
I have no problem with the gun itself, it's just borderline lying to call it the return of a gun it plainly ain't. :)
Denis

rangerbob

Buckeye
Snake, it appears the King Cobra does have a easily replaceable front sight that is held in place by a set screw or a plunger. At least the elevation could be corrected if need be. I agree that Colt could have named it differently, maybe, the Rattler or Copperhead? Bob!! :D

BDM1

Single-Sixer
I would definitely like one of these, if i could afford it! I think it would be a great addition to a self defense line-up, it would be great on the street or in the field. I like the looks of it, and that it is fixed sighted. I love adjustable sights,but only on guns that are intended to be used at adjustable sight distances. With most self defense encounters taking place at relatively short distances, i think the gun is fine as is. You could even make the argument that it would be better with a non-spur hammer, but i like it with the hammer, personal preference and all. However, i suppose it has MIM internal fire-control parts, as the Cobra does. I know little about metalurgy so i can't say if that matters much or not, i simply point it out for consideration. I also wish they had named it something else, maybe even "Rat Snake",Ha!!

DPris

Buckeye
It's largely MIM, just like the Cobra.
And parts are outsourced for assembly by Colt.
Denis

Thel

Blackhawk
Be nice if Colt came out with a 4" bbl Diamondback variation with adjustable sights. I tend to agree with Snake45 that it would be nice to change the profile of the trigger guard. DPris has a comment I agree with on naming conventions. Using former names may tend to raise expectations too much (at least till the old guard passes). With a new name the product could be evaluated on its own merits or lack thereof.

Snake45

Hawkeye
BDM1 said:
I would definitely like one of these, if i could afford it! I think it would be a great addition to a self defense line-up, it would be great on the street or in the field. I like the looks of it, and that it is fixed sighted. I love adjustable sights,but only on guns that are intended to be used at adjustable sight distances. With most self defense encounters taking place at relatively short distances, i think the gun is fine as is. You could even make the argument that it would be better with a non-spur hammer, but i like it with the hammer, personal preference and all. However, i suppose it has MIM internal fire-control parts, as the Cobra does. I know little about metalurgy so i can't say if that matters much or not, i simply point it out for consideration. I also wish they had named it something else, maybe even "Rat Snake",Ha!!
I love this post! Love the Ratsnake name, too! :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Thel said:
Be nice if Colt came out with a 4" bbl Diamondback variation with adjustable sights.
Agree completely, and also in .22, maybe they could get 8 or even 9 shots in a .22. (Come to think of it, Smith gets 10 .22s in the K22 cylinder which is virtually the same size.)

I already have mine, but it would be nice if the rest of y'all could, too. :wink:

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I like it. A 3" medium frame 6 shot revolver is a pretty nice carry, bedside & car gun. Not the best at everything, but can do most jobs pretty well. And look good doing it. Put 110 or medium velocity 125 .357s in it, and all is well.

Though, it should have a different name.
Boomslang?
Mamba?
Krait?
Massasauga...?
Yeah. You can see why the recycled "Cobra." Got to give Colt credit, they did corner the market on serpent monikers back when they were really in the whellgun business. Got to go down to the second tier of snake names that just don't roll off the tongue as well as "Cobra" "Pythin" & "Viper."
The Night Cobra seems nice as well. I will have to take a look at both this year. Me thinks semi-autos are going to legislated out of existence in some of our bluer states in a couple of years.

Snake45

Hawkeye
They could call it the Nancy Pelosi (another nasty, venomous reptile) for all I care. Function-wise, they're clear on the concept, which is all that matters. :wink: :lol:

Latest posts