My new service six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
Waiting for it to get to my ffl:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/993855517/RUGER-POLICE-SERVICE-SIX-357-200TH-YEAR-LIBERTY.htm

silverback

Blackhawk
I sure hope so. Cant wait to get my hands back on a six. I let my security six's go several years ago. I prefer the notch rear sight anyway. This is going to be my keeper and 38 special gun.
Well a few 357's to compare it to how the 4 inch gp100 felt in hand.

After making choice between the gp100 6 and 4 inch I couldn't get the six out of my mind. I couldn't remember if the square but full frame felt better I the smaller barrel version.

Nice little package for home carry. I will have to post picks when it gets here.

Really like the look of this revolver.
If ruger did a gp100 in a 4 inch like this I would be on it like a bad smell. Lol

Silverback, if you are talking about fixed sight GPs, Ruger DID do a bunch of them in the past. I have a 4" HB stainless .357 and a 3" blue .38 Spl. Most of these were made for armed security firms, police departments, and military contracts. Many of them were later surplussed by those firms and agencies to be replaced with "Wonder Nines" and .40s of various makes, and came onto the civilian market. A few are still in service overseas, mainly with private security firms (I've seen them in France, Italy, Mexico, and Costa Rica, so there must be plenty more out there).

I too wish that Ruger would make more fixed sight full-sized DAs. Reliable is their middle name.

otis24

Bearcat
I know it says "Service Six", but the description says "adjustable sights". What am I missing? I think someone was a little off on the description.

silverback

Blackhawk
Mike Armstrong said:
Silverback, if you are talking about fixed sight GPs, Ruger DID do a bunch of them in the past. I have a 4" HB stainless .357 and a 3" blue .38 Spl.........
Thanks for the heads up! I should have guessed that some had been made. It never entered my mind and I must have glazed over them looking for service six models.
A quick search and the 3 inch stainless seems to still be out there in abundance. Most if the 4 inch versions seem to be 38's. I Did find a 357, 4 inch blued on armslist, sexy.... I am partial to blued finsh. I just like the look of the fixed rear sight. My wallet cant afford another revolver at this time. But maybe in the future that blue 4 inch fixed will find it's way into my safe. In the mean time I am going to gave some fun with that service six.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Picked up a Service Six last Wednesday at local gun store, is jest like that one except it has the standard grips, was also made in 1976. Last November I found a blued Speed Six with 4 inch barrel made in 1974 at same store, Only 2 Sixes I have seen in gun shops in the last 20 years. The Six series are really a joy to shoot and fun to just hold and look at.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Just an aside, I had a student in my CC class today that had a minty 3" blued Speed Six in 38 Special. It shot better than he could shoot it. Very nice piece. Bob!! :D

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Never held a service six, but I like the way this one looks. I have never even seen one at my LGS. I like the way the back strap is even with the grips. It would fit my smaller hands.

rangerbob said:
Just an aside, I had a student in my CC class today that had a minty 3" blued Speed Six in 38 Special. It shot better than he could shoot it. Very nice piece. Bob!! :D

Actually that would have been a 2 3/4 inch barrel. The standard sizes of the Six series were 2 3/4, 4, and 6 inch barrels. There were some special ones made with 5" barrels (for the RCMP and they are VERY scarce) and some that did have 3" barrels but they were for the USPS and INS and were stainless steel frames.

rangerbob

Buckeye
Ronin, your are correct, I did not have time to measure it, but it did have a full length ejector rod. Being weened on S&W's, I'm not that up to speed on the Security and Speed sixes. I do know it was a nice revolver. Bob!! 8)

An observation from the past...

There was a time, adjustable sights were not nearly as common as today. Many guns of yesterday had fixed sights, as when the guns came from the factory, the sights were well regulated for point of aim without the need for adjustable sights. Police Service Sixes, Speed Sixes, and Smith and Wesson service revolvers all come to mind.

WAYNO said:
An observation from the past...

There was a time, adjustable sights were not nearly as common as today. Many guns of yesterday had fixed sights, as when the guns came from the factory, the sights were well regulated for point of aim without the need for adjustable sights. Police Service Sixes, Speed Sixes, and Smith and Wesson service revolvers all come to mind.

I don't disagree with this at all but back then most were POA/POI regulated with just one or maybe two loads, especially the .38 spl (158 gr round nose or .357 Mag with 125 gr JHP or JSP) which were standard police loads. Then people wanted better performance and started to experimented with different bullet weights and powders and they didn't want to take the time/effort necessary to regulate their loads to their fixed sight guns when it was just easier to adjust the sights.

Also, the fixed sight handguns were/are easier to draw with nothing to impede/restrict the drawing motion.

I doubt that most people nowadays really use adjustable sight guns as designed. They buy a certain ammo, sight in the gun and never change those sights. Just look at the plastic fantastic guns out there - how many have truly adjustable sights (windage AND elevation) and people don't think anything about that but they negatively comment about fixed sight revolvers.