Security-Six gun show find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akbluz

Blackhawk
I should know better than to go to a gun show because often my wallet suffers. Yesterday I came away with a Security-Six stainless 4inch .357mag with Pachmeyer grips (?) with Ruger medallions. I cleaned and polished on it today and it turned out pretty nice. This is my first "Six series" gun. It's dated to 1979. I've enjoyed shooting my GP100 and I'm anxious for a little nicer weather here to try this one out.

akbluz said:
I should know better than to go to a gun show because often my wallet suffers. Yesterday I came away with a Security-Six stainless 4inch .357mag with Pachmeyer grips (?) with Ruger medallions. I cleaned and polished on it today and it turned out pretty nice. This is my first "Six series" gun. It's dated to 1979. I've enjoyed shooting my GP100 and I'm anxious for a little nicer weather here to try this one out.

I'd say if you were going to buy a gun, it would have been hard to find a better one, if you are sticking with the 357 mag cartridge. I really like those stainless 4"ers. Congratulations on a fine gun.

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
My 1979 Sec Six was purchased new in 1979. It has thousands upon thousands of rounds down the tube and still looks and feels as though it's just out of the box.

Good purchase, for sure...

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
They are getting really hard to find, I found a stainless Speed Six with 4 inch barrel at gun shop last month, only Six series I have seen anywhere in last 20 years.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I had a six inch Security Six, and I think that you will like yours. Mine had a very heavy trigger pull, and if your's does, get some Wolff springs for it.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Those are probably original grips.Made by Sile ? I know they were not made by Pachmyer and are somewhat hard to find.

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
protoolman, what you said about those grips being hard to find is kind of neat. I just bought a Security six 6'' SS with rubber grips. I was going to change them out with a set of nice wood grips and when i look at the inside of the rubber grips it said ruger on both so i left them on. These didn't have the ruger medallions and the grips feel real good.

The Security Six is a sweet revolver. I found early in its production to be well ahead of its time. A very strong revolver for it's weight and size. Very accurate as well. I would never go to a lighter hammer spring, it is the last thing you should ever do to try and lighten a trigger. The trigger return spring can be lightened to a point but cleaning up the hammer is the best way, and never touch the engagement surface!

Like was said, I am betting them were the sile gripps, but I think pacmyer made some for on of the square but s Six models. Either way, if you prefer you can find the small sets or the oversize target if you watch the forums classifieds and gun broker to have it your way. Ether way, enjoy it you have a well made fine shooting and lighter easier and quicker handling revolver, nice find!

akbluz

Blackhawk
I took the "liberty" of all the New Year's Eve fireworks noise to test out my revolver (shot it into my big dirt pile - not into the air). I had loaded up some rounds with 6.2grains of Unique under 158grain bullets. It shot very well and I enjoyed the little fireball it produced. I'll have to do some further testing when the weather is more cooperative. The Herrett grips Bear Paw Jack so generously gave me worked great.... Thanks a million BPJ.

Pachmayr did make grips for the "square" butt Sixes and they did have the medallions on them. The model number would be something like "GA-36P " or "RDA-36P". I have several pair in my collection. Sile also made grips for the Six series but if you put them side by side you can tell the difference and if you grip them you can tell the difference there also (well, at least I can).

silverback

Blackhawk
I can relate. I just picked up a gp100 for range and hd. Couldn't help myself when I saw a 1977 service six
It's on the way to my FFL.

Dam these guns are keeping me broke......lol