Stainless speed six with a 2 1/2" or 3" barrel'

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bogus bill

Hunter
Today I seen in a pawnshop a stainless speed six that looked to have a 3" barrel. Asking $500. I own a 2 1/2" Python and a 3" S&W model 66-3 so cant justify the gun for that price. It looked mint and I was somewhat tempted as we were issued 4" speed sixs many years ago on my job and they always felt great to my hand. I didn't ask to inspect the gun so dont know if it had box and docs or not. Just now I read on another thread here that the 3" is rare and not many were produced for the post office?? What's the story on that? I may go back and look at it again and see if there are post office markings if that's the deal. What would be a good price on it?

hittman

Staff member
I would not buy a "post office" Speed Six without a factory letter or the original box. I do not believe there's any other way to confirm it was a postal gun; but others will chime in and correct me if that's wrong. I don't think there were any markings on it like you see with the NIS guns.

Speeds came in (the way more common) 2.75 inch and the 3.00 inch in a few post office guns.

RENE has lots of info on the variations of Speed Six.

I recently paid $450.00 for a mint snubby stainless Speed Six and didn't wait but about 10 seconds to decide. Go buy it ..... if it happens to be 3 inch and/or letters as a post office gun that's just a bonus.

bogus bill

Hunter
Since I wrote the above I looked on sold speed sixs and did find a PO one plus a regular 2 3/4" speed six`s. Here they are, and looking at the front of the barrel with the ejector housing angle under it, its easier to see the difference. I will go back to the shop tomorrow just to satisfy myself. If its a PO I couldn't get hurt but I now think it was a 2 3/4" as I see the grips are standard, not like the one shown on the post office one.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792874565
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792661791

Sugar River

Buckeye
Another distinguishing characteristic of the Post Office guns is the bead blasted finish.
It's not so pronounced in the pics above, but in person they really stand out.