NM Blackhawk 357 10"...... scope mount?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CMH

Blackhawk
Hello, saw a new model 357 Blackhawk with a 10" barrel for sale..... of the menagerie of scope bases which would be best to drill and tap for a flat top blackhawk?

contender

Ruger Guru
A New Model Blackhawk in 357 magnum??? Are you sure it wasn't a 357 MAXIMUM?

I know the 357 Maxi isn't a FT.
And the only FT 357 with a 10" bbl, would be a RCA gun. Kinda rare.

Either way,, drilling & tapping will ruin the value of either a 357 Maxi,, or a 357 Mag. There are scope mounts which are not D&T. I'd look into that.

contender

Ruger Guru
A RCA gun isn't often found. I see one FS in the classifieds for over $1300. D&T one and see the value decrease a lot.
I'd look at Weigand mounts for a no D&T mount. That way, you can enjoy a scope, AND retain the value.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I would not drill and tap the gun you have.

I do have a NM .357 that I had drilled and tapped for a Leupold mount with the twist in rings. This is a very solid rig. As I guess any base that fits properly and has 3 screws in it would be. The universe seems to have moved to the Weaver style mounts though. Since I wanted to mount a Reflex site I wished I had gone with one of them. But 20 years ago I loved the look and feel of the Leupold.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I would wholeheartedly recommend the Weaver No-Drill mount. I have been using one with great success for many years.

Joe S.

Hunter
The Leupold mount gets my vote for a D&T mount but the Wiegand mounts seem very popular. If they make them for flat tops. A 357 mag shouldnt shake a no drill loose. My heavy 45s didn't shake my Weaver no drill loose, fwiw.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I use Weaver 301's on several Blackhawks. They work fine. Please don't drill holes on frame!! Just as well stick barrel in a jack and use for a handle!!

andyo5

Single-Sixer
This is the one that resides on my NM Bisley. My Bisley is a 45 Colt with 7.5" barrel.
I shoot competition with it and have been very satisfied.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/mounting_systems/pistol_mount_system/
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/714989/weaver-mount-scope-base-with-1-rings-ruger-blackhawk-super-blackhawk-301-gloss

Their rings are included, but you can use other rings if you prefer.
No drilling needed.

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
50 years ago or thereabouts I had a flat top 44 d with factory stags and drilled and tapped for a scope. Did Not regret it until the price of flat tops went out of sight.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Received my Weaver no drill scope mount today and installed it on a OM .41 Mag. Seems to fit well. Put my Burris reflex site I got from a member here on it. Looks good. Can not wait to try it out. Thanks to you guys that posted about this mount. I will probably go back to the ghost site at some point but right now I want to test some loads and see how the gun shoots. My 75 year old eyes do better with the red dot than they do with the factory sights or the big ghost ring for accurate holding. I got some Lil Gun loads loaded up already so we will see it the mount "holds" . Note: I did have to file the screw to get it to not hit the cylinder. Check that the screw is flush before you put the cylinder back in.

contender

Ruger Guru
Kudos woodperson.
A side note to assist you in the future.
I go to a hobby shop that sells RC cars & airplanes. I buy the tiny nylon & stainless washers to use as spacers for such screws. That way,, I'm not grinding anything.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Thanks. Never even thought of putting a thin washer under iot. But it did not take long to take the fifteen thousands off with a file. Will file away your idea and will pick up some washers when opportunity presents itself. I have a long, bad history with this particular screw hole. This was a rescue gun from the bottom of someones tool box, it looked like. I sent it to Ruger and had a steel frame and ejector housing installed and the gun refinished. When Ruger sent it back the screw in the site was too long and I got it into contact with the cylinder. Recently I tried to add a reflex sight mount. The screw was too short and the sight parted company with the gun before I finished a cylinder. Fortunately it did not take out the hole threads. I am actually glad to know that this screw has full penetration.