Posted because.............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tom black

Blackhawk
Bob what's the difference in this cartridge and the auto rim round?
Tom
And that's a beautiful six gun.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
The 45 Auto Rim has a very thick rim to duplicate the thickness of the 45 ACP rim plus the thickness of the moon clip used in DA 45 ACP revolvers. The 45 Xtra Short has a thin rim like that of the 45 Colt cartridge. It can be fired in 45 Colt revolvers. The Auto Rim cannot.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
charlesappel said:
The 45 Auto Rim has a very thick rim to duplicate the thickness of the 45 ACP rim plus the thickness of the moon clip used in DA 45 ACP revolvers. The 45 Xtra Short has a thin rim like that of the 45 Colt cartridge. It can be fired in 45 Colt revolvers. The Auto Rim cannot.

Exactly.

In fact, my .45 Xtra Short are salvaged .45 Colt cases. Cases that have had neck splits and no longer reloadable as .45 Colt.

Bob Wright

Mus408

Hunter
Are those .45 extra shorts about the same as the Starline .45 Cowboy Special brass?

I made up some of those to shoot in my .45 ACP NV Birds Head but sometimes had a case seating problem if too much bullet straight shank was sticking out...doesn't take much.

However they are nice to shoot out of my other .45 revolvers.

G2

Hunter
Well,,, just because us the load particulars please :D

I have been messing around with acp loads in the 3.6" birdshead, this "just because" peeked my interest.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Mus408 said:
Are those .45 extra shorts about the same as the Starline .45 Cowboy Special brass?

I made up some of those to shoot in my .45 ACP NV Birds Head but sometimes had a case seating problem if too much bullet straight shank was sticking out...doesn't take much.

However they are nice to shoot out of my other .45 revolvers.

Near identical, I believe.

If your bullets interfere with seating, your cylinder throats are too small.

Bob Wright

Joe S.

Hunter
Mr. Bob
Did you have to ream the inside of the case at all? Or is it the same inside diameter all the way down?

I just looked at Starline's website. They describe the 45 Cowboy Special Brass and say they can be loaded using the 45 ACP dies.

Which dies do you use in reloading? 45 Colt or 45 ACP?

Are they a lot lighter in a Blackhawk than say a light 45 Colt load?

I ask because my dad is coming to visit at Christmas, and he had carple tunnel (spelling) surgery on his wrists a while back and doesn't like heavy recoiling handguns anymore. We went shooting last time he was here and he didn't like my .45 loads with 7 grains of Unique.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
I just looked at Starline's website. They describe the 45 Cowboy Special Brass and say they can be loaded using the 45 ACP dies.

Which dies do you use in reloading? 45 Colt or 45 ACP?

Are they a lot lighter in a Blackhawk than say a light 45 Colt load?

I ask because my dad is coming to visit at Christmas, and he had carple tunnel (spelling) surgery on his wrists a while back and doesn't like heavy recoiling handguns anymore. We went shooting last time he was here and he didn't like my .45 loads with 7 grains of Unique.

O.K. I use .45 ACP dies with the .45 Colt shellholder. Nice thing about that is that I can switch to loading .45 ACP and only have to swap out shellholders.

The load I show in the photographs, the 200 gr. bullet with 4.5 grs. of HP-38 (you can substitute Winchester 231 as well) is a powderpuff load. And it is pretty accurate to boot.

Bob Wright

Latest posts