41 Special Load

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
The range I belong to does not allow magnum rounds. Does anyone have a non magnum load they can recommend. Its for a Redhawk with the 7 1/2" barrel and Ill be shooting paper at 25yds with it right now. Any advice would be appreciated.
**My apologies for posting this in the wrong spot as I now see it should be in the reloading section.

NikA

Buckeye
How does your range define a "magnum round"? I load .41 Magnum with Unique loads from the manuals for relatively mild shooting, but I'm not sure a RO would accept them as "non-magnum" since they are in magnum cases.

grobin

Blackhawk
The Hodgdon manual and online is a great starting point: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

If you want really light loads try TrailBoss. Start with 60% of the amount of powder if the bullet is seated properly that's your starting load, 100% is max load!

Th might also look at a linear compensator. They deflect the muzzle blast, sound, etc. down range rather than using it to reduce recoil!

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I second Trail Boss for a nice plinker load. 5.0 grains behind a 240 gr. lead SWC in 41 Special case.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Opps!, I meant 210 gr. in 41 Special. I actually use the same load of TB in 44 Special with a 240 gr. SWC.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Thanks for the info!! One of the regulars at the gun shop gave me some brass and I have some unique so I'll give that a try. The range I belong to is in a residential neighborhood and it's a fairly old building so it's strictly a bullseye club. But it's close and affordable so I'll play by their rules. Really itching to try this gun out as it was one of the old timers from the range that owned it before he passed a couple months back.