How about a larger LCR/LCRx?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I would like to see Ruger build an LCR/LCRx large enough to handle six rounds of 38 (or 357) and seven rounds of 327 Federal. I don't know if there is a market for such a revolver, but I sure would like to have one.

recumbent

Buckeye
charlesappel said:
I would like to see Ruger build an LCR/LCRx large enough to handle six rounds of 38 (or 357) and seven rounds of 327 Federal. I don't know if there is a market for such a revolver, but I sure would like to have one.

You just described a GP100 Mine are 4 inch 1 is 6 shot 357 and the other one is 7 shot 327 fed mag.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
recumbent said:
charlesappel said:

You just described a GP100 Mine are 4 inch 1 is 6 shot 357 and the other one is 7 shot 327 fed mag.
GP100s are great guns. But, he reason I want an enlarged LCR/LCRx is that it would weigh a good bit less than the GP100 series. I have a hankering for a 20 to 24 ounce revolver instead of 36 to 40 ounces.

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't see a large enough market for a larger LCR to warrant the expense of engineering.

People want "small, lightweight & concealable" so when items like that are built,, they sell. Look at the J framed S&W's, and the LCP. The LCP blew the top out of marketing because it was small, lightweight, and concealable.

The costs associated with engineering, design, testing, etc,,, to fill a small market segment is not profitable.

And then you have the issue demonstrated here,,, the additional wishes of others. The OP wanted a larger LCR to handle 6 rounds or 7,, and almost immediately a request was voiced about a larger one in 44 spl. (NO disrespect to DeltaRose,,, just pointing out how people want different things.)

Again, that adds expenses,,, and as a manufacturer,, they have to look at costs, demands, potential sales, to see if it can make a profit. A reasonable part of the population want bigger calibers in smaller guns,, (using the Charter Arms Bulldog as this example,) but just like the J framed S&W's,,, most buy & do not shoot them much. But would it be enough of a demand to allow Ruger to make money?

And remember,, it HAS to pass all kinds of safety tests in this litigious society.

I'm not saying things like this can not be made,,, but just as soon as ANY new gun is introduced,, I see folks say things like; "I like it BUT,, they should have made it XYZ and I would have bought one." So,,, instead of being happy with what's offered,, too many do not buy because it's not exactly what they want. Even the LCR,,, when it came out,, I heard folks say all kinds of things that they "wished" Ruger had done instead.

Now,,, if they do design a new gun,, and it's well received enough to where sales indicate it was a good business decision, (read this as making a profit) THEN the designers can & often do look at minor changes that they can do to offer variations w/o much expense in manufacturing.

A good example is when they offer a gun in Stainless,, and it sells. Later, they can offer it in blue,, and satisfy more folks. A minor change,,, using proven materials & such,, where the cost to retool is low,, and sales show a profit.

So, back to the OP.
I don't see such an endeavor happening. The LCR was introduced in 38 spl, and then in 357. What happens,, many folks say the 357 is too much in such a light gun, and the sales are not as strong as Ruger would like. I think a 6 shot LCR would have to be too big to be sold to the market it was designed for. The CCW crowd that wants light weight and concealable.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I think a six-shot .357 would end up being the same frame size as a 5 shot .44 (look at the GP100) but I agree, very limited market here. At least the .44 would be controllable, and would compete with the CA Bulldog.

This is all a fantasy anyway :lol: ...

I agree with Contender. Even here, plenty of folks think the LCR in 357mag is too much. I've got one and it's a handful, but it works for me.
As far as what I consider a "perfect" size is the CA Bulldog 44 special. Understand it's not a strong gun, and you can't push it for sure but with standard factory ammo, it's a pretty handy gun. I can't understand why Ruger hasn't duplicated that. The other gun that is fairly popular now is Smith's 69 which is a 5 shot 44 mag. I suspect many folks use it in 44 special but with the 2-3/4" and 4.25" barrel it's quite handy IMO. The down side that most manufactures get away with that Ruger doesn't, is that Ruger has made it's bones on being able to push their guns. These other manufacture's not so much. Buffalo Bore on their 44 Special "hotter load" says specifically not for Charter Arms guns. Yet Taurus has made some pretty nice guns that are smaller that is reasonably strong. I think Ruger could own that market if they wanted it. I'm sure they know things I don't, like it isn't as big a market as it appears.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
As far as what I consider a "perfect" size is the CA Bulldog 44 special. Understand it's not a strong gun, and you can't push it for sure but with standard factory ammo, it's a pretty handy gun. I can't understand why Ruger hasn't duplicated that.

Exactly my point. I love my CA Bulldog for what it is. Plenty strong for reasonable, controllable loads (Blazer 200 gr. GoldDot) but the LCR trigger and grip would be much nicer. Again- I know it wouldn't be a money maker, but one can dream.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
My SP101 is the same size as my Charter Bulldog.. except for the larger cylinder of the Bulldog .. and SP101 is heavier ..
A LCR in 44 spl would be most likely the size of SP101 / Charter Bulldog , and most likely very close to the Charters 22oz's

I agree with the fact few want a gun that large in plastic, I for one think the only place for plastic fantastics is on minimal size and weight guns for extreme concealment for belly gun use, if I want a frame that large it is because I prefer mine dipped in steel and no longer have a need to carry it in a hidden pocket for some use at more than very close range, which to me is what the steel framed guns are made for.

Latest posts