Redhawk Grip Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
I am in the process of buying a Redhawk 41mag with the integral scope ring bases. I believe it was manufactured in 1989. Currently it has Pachmayr grips which I never cared for. Is there a difference in size with the Super Redhawk? I find GP100/SupervRedhawk Hogues but I don't see anything for a regular Redhawk. Any info would be appreciated.

hittman

Staff member
Redhawk uses their own unique grips, much like Security Six grips.

Super Redhawk and GP100 use the same grips which attach to a "post" as opposed to flat slabs of grip material.

Here's a Redhawk with factory grips and a Tyler T Grip

IIqR78Mh.jpg

Here's the GP100 / Super Redhawk post style

FyOiNEYh.jpg

Let me know if you're looking for a set of factory Redhawk grips. I may have a spare set or two laying around.

I usually prefer the factory wood on my Redhawks but.....everybodys different.
If I'm going to shoot hot loads through my 41 Mag, I may slip a set of Uncle Mike's grips on it for that outing. They're nice but no longer in production and can be hard to find.

They're shown on the 41 Mag pictured below.

voxsjiah.jpg

s4s4u

Hunter
Ya RH and SRH are totally different animals. Am holding my breath waiting for Ruger to make a hybrid with RH frame and SHR/GP handle. With 6" full lug barrel in 45 Colt ;-)

Tom W

Blackhawk
You're gonna turn blue .....I'm hoping to make a trade with a friend of mine for his RedHawk model 5050....but I Ain't gonna hold my breath....

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I tried some Pachmayr grips on my Redhawk and the were too big and they pinched my palm when I fired it. I went back to the standard wood panels.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
Thanks for the info. For some reason the Pachmayr grips never fit my hand and I always felt them uncomfortable. I could never understand the fascination. My lgs sometimes will let me raid their parts bins. Im sure I can find some wood panels that will fit.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I bought a older pair of factory grips for my Redhawk off of eBay. I have smaller hands and sand the older grips as thin as I can get them. Usually all the way to the inserts that hold the screw. Makes the grips really comfortable and easy for me to shoot the 44 Mag out of her. The older style are not laminated like the new grips are that come on them. Plus I can keep the newer grips so if I ever sell it or my family gets it after I am gone they can return it back to factory.

winchester348

Single-Sixer
Ive bought several Redhawks that came with either Pachmyers or Hogues on them. I always revert them back to the standard wood grips. I hadn't found an aftermarket grip that fit my hands. I have a box full of the pachmyer and Hogues. If you want a set pm me.

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
I have tried 5 different grips on my Redhawks without a doubt the Uncle Mikes work the best FOR ME.
Hard to find but worth the search.

Jeff

98Redline

Blackhawk
Nils Griffe grips are the best I have found for my Redhawk. Not cheap but they distribute the recoil over my hand more evenly than even the rubber Pachmyrs.

I've tried many grips for my Redhawk and settled on Eagle's Redhawk Square Butt Genuine Rosewood Classic Grips - Checkered grips. They fill my hand comfortably and help to maintain a steady grip during recoil.

28708425507_6e9e6e8f48_c.jpg

Passtime

Bearcat
I am in the same situation as the OP. I have a new Redhawk model 5004 (44 mag) on the way. Those small wood factory grips look like they would be hard to handle. Do you guys who mentioned the Uncle Mike grips have a model number for them? I have read quite a few good things about those but most say they are hard to find. I have a 4.2 inch GP 100 with a stock hogue rubber grip and it fits my hand perfectly and really tames the recoil with hot loads. I would like to find something along those lines for the Redhawk. Any suggestions besides what has already been posted?

The Hogue grips are a little smaller than the Pach's, but they don'y cover the backstrap. Too me they were painful to my palm.

Those Eagle grips above look like they would be great, as are the Nil Griffe grips.

Passtime

Bearcat
Looks like most of the aftermarket grips do not cover the backstrap. If available I would want a grip that covers it. Hard to tell from images.

98Redline

Blackhawk
Passtime said:
Looks like most of the aftermarket grips do not cover the backstrap. If available I would want a grip that covers it. Hard to tell from images.
Any grip that covers the back strap is going to make the grip huge. You would have to have bear paws to hold it.

Passtime

Bearcat
I am pretty much going by images. I did not have the luxury of handling the firearm before the purchase. I live to far out in the sticks. The stock wood grips look small on the Redhawk in images. They may turn out to work perfect. I am just checking out options. Helps pass the time waiting for the Redhawk to arrive.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
Arisin' Wind said:
I've tried many grips for my Redhawk and settled on Eagle's Redhawk Square Butt Genuine Rosewood Classic Grips - Checkered grips. They fill my hand comfortably and help to maintain a steady grip during recoil.

First "Pinto" Ruger I've ever seen. Very nice, thanks for sharing. Even the log it sits on is finished?
Steve

steve8261948 said:
Arisin' Wind said:

First "Pinto" Ruger I've ever seen. Very nice, thanks for sharing. Even the log it sits on is finished?
Steve

Thanks for the comment.

The log is natural. It's a cedar log from a tree that fell from a hurricane 14 years ago. We've use it as a bench and a photo prop.