The Ruger Toklat.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Often wondered why the Toklat was designed the way it was concerning the barrel extension.
Just looks like they took the short barrel Alaskan and screwed an extra length of barrel into the end and called it a day.
To me it just kills the look of the revolver.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Yeah, it does look weird, though it isn't a barrel extension, but a frame extension, which may be even less defensible, design-wise.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
If the gun's look needs to "speak" to one's inner being before actually shooting one then perhaps it's not the right gun. It sounds like how they choose watches on the watch forum but when you're paying thousands of dollars for a cell phone app that's the value added. If one has actual specific and objective performance criteria such as a great DA trigger, grip options and Ruger-only rated what else is there? And why would the SRH's look make someone turn away from a properly designed and engineered product?

Just asking because it seems so illogical and counterintuitive.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
A revolver is not only a functional instrument, but a work of art. People go to great lengths to put special exotic grips and keep their weapon sparkling clean. From this point of view I agree that the Ruger Super Redhawk is not so nice to look at. It is pure function.

CraigC

Hawkeye
No, it looks like every other Super Redhawk, except with a shorter barrel. Which is what it is. I don't own SRH's because they're beautiful. Their beauty is in their capability. They are superb hunting revolvers with a combination of features you can't get anywhere else. You can mount an optic and keep your iron sights. The optic removes quickly in the event of failure with a coin. The balance of mounting an optic over the frame, rather than the barrel is far superior for me. The grips are comfortable and the gun handles recoil well. I have video of me shooting my .44 SRH at two water buffalo and it looks like I'm shooting a PPC gun. Even though I'm hammering them with a 300gr at 1400fps. IMHO, the Toklat is the best variation yet and I wish it was offered in every SRH chambering.

IMG_0075b.jpg

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Gotta git me some of them "S&W only" loads for my "work of art"....

Seriously, what motivates someone to start a thread letting everyone know they think a particular gun is ugly. Since this is the Ruger forum they have to know some fellow members own and enjoy that particular model. WTF?

98Redline

Blackhawk
I would love to see a 480R chambered Toklat in the offerings.
Maybe with a fluted barrel similar to MaxP's instead of the slab sided arrest they use currently.

RODNUT

Bearcat
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I behold a 5 1/2 in. SRH that started life as a 9 1/2 in. 44mag. The revolver was transformed into a very useable and easy to pack weapon, sort of my early version of a Toklat. It is a compromise between an Alaskan and longer version of a SRH, in my opinion something Ruger should have offered a long time ago. The SRH is easier to fine tune and has a smoother operation than the Readhawk, and its strength and durability is remarkable. Glad Ruger finally offered the Toklat in the SRH line they all are a work of art.

I have owned several Redhawks and several S&W in 44mag and still like the SRH more than the others.

Mus408

Hunter
Sorry to ruffle any Ruger feathers as that wasn't the point.
I have just wondered why Ruger built it that way and that has been answered by owners of the Toklat.

Function and balance!

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Problems understanding the Toklat aesthetic?
It's Snake Plisskin's gun for knocking down Harleys and whatever's on them.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
98Redline said:
I would love to see a 480R chambered Toklat in the offerings.
Maybe with a fluted barrel similar to MaxP's instead of the slab sided arrest they use currently.

Amen to that!
.454 is an outstanding round & I understand the appeal, but for me I believe the 480 with a 400 gr. WFN will take ANY animal and my 44 does anything I do in AR, which is 90% + of my hunting.

I have about given up on a 480 Toklat, I am researching the BFR Bisley and the Ruger Bisley in 480, will likely end up with one of those.

I sure love the overall concept of the Toklat though.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
ronzonie01 said:
I guess its just another way to increase your POST count!

Don't know who you are refering to but would "POST" count be important, would like to know why?
Then again, I believe I see what you mean.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Post count what I don't understand, but back to the topic, this needs to stop before I go buy a Toklat I'm going to ask my financial adviser.