50'th anniversary Super Blackhawk replica

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nrut

Bearcat
Hello,
A female acquaintance of mine recently bought a 44 Super Blackhawk..
Just got this email from her:

I have a gun question--. I recently bought a New Model Super Blackhawk and much to my surprise the grip frame is different than the old model. Not as comfortable to shoot. So now I see they make a 50'th anniversary replica Super Blackhawk and I'm wondering if the frame would be like the old one was???? Any thoughts?

I figure you guys would know the answer to her question..
Thanks

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, there's three grip sizes depending on the barrel length and model. Hard to answer w/o knowing what she had and what she bought.
7 1/2" barrels and longer have the large grip with a square back trigger guard. 5 1/2" and shorter mostly have the standard grip size.

Bisley SBH models have a large but different shape grip with a large round trigger guard.

Nrut

Bearcat
Thanks Jim,
She sent me another email saying she is going to try some different grips first..
If that didn't work then she is going to look into changing to a old model grip frame if that is possible..
Thx again..

contender

Ruger Guru
She won't be able to put an OM grip frame under a NM gun too easily. BUT,,, she can find a NM grip frame the same shape as an OM. Check the info above.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Would have to know exactly what was purchased. If it's a 7½" or 10", then it has the same grip profile as the Old Model. Even the round triggerguard Hunter model uses the same grip profile. If it's a 5½" or 4 5/8", it has the standard Blackhawk XR3-RED grip frame pattern. This would require a grip frame swap.

Nrut

Bearcat
contender & CraigC thank you for your replies..

She tells me now that she is going to order some aftermarket grips for her new SBH..

If the new grips don't meet her needs then she is going to sell her new SBH and buy a 50'th anniversary SBH replica "if" it has the same grip frame as the original 3 screw model..
This is all done by mail-order so she doesn't have the option to handle the handgun before purchase..

So does the 50'th anniversary Super Blackhawk replica have the same grip frame as the original 3 screw model?
Thx

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
The 50th Anniversary SBH has the larger Dragoon (square-back trigger guard) grip frame...

Whether or not grip panels can be swapped from a new model to an old model Dragoon, I have no idea...

Nrut

Bearcat
Salmoneye said:
The 50th Anniversary SBH has the larger Dragoon (square-back trigger guard) grip frame...

Whether or not grip panels can be swapped from a new model to an old model Dragoon, I have no idea...

So does the 50'th anniversary Super Blackhawk replica have the same grip frame as the original 3 screw model?
Thx

flattop44

Buckeye
They are the same size and the panels would interchange. They are not the same grip frame though, the trigger spring setup is different.

FT44

Nrut

Bearcat
Thanks flattop44,
I'll pass that info along to my friend..
She'll be happy to hear that..

Weird I replied to your post the day you posted it but I guess it didn't take..

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Now I'm confused.

Old model Supers had large square trigger housing grip frames made of steel.
New model Supers were the same for a long time.
Special short barreled new model Super was different, it had the same shape as the XR3-RED. Also Hunters unique grip frame.

Lady was surprised "the grip frame is different from the old model" WHAT old model? Old/new models Supers had same grip frame except Short Supers and Hunters. No? Again what old model did the lady have?

Thanks,

SATCOM

Nrut

Bearcat
She sent me a email after the email I posted in my original post stating the old .44 that she liked was a 3 screw..
She doesn't own the 3 screw, it belonged to her ex the way I understand it..

While I have two Bisleys in .45 Colt I never did follow the all the Ruger revolver models..