Long barreled Service and Speed Six revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

As I was admiring my newly acquired Speed Six today it occurred to me that I've seen relatively few Security Sixes with 6" barrels, and none of the Service Six or Speed Sixes with a 6" barrel. In fact I'm not sure I've seen a Speed Six 4". Were any of these long barreled oddities ever made by Ruger?

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I have owned a Speed Six with a 4 inch barrel and a Security Six with a 6 inch barrel . . I have never seen a Speed or Police six with a Six inch barrel .. As of yet

I've got right now or have had 4" Speed Sixes and Service Sixes. I haven't seen any in 6" and don't believe they exist at this point. They obviously exist in the Security Six 6". But I don't claim to be an expert. :mrgreen:

As far as I know, they never made the Police Service Six or the Speed Six in a 6" barrel.

They sort of did make a Police Service Six in 6", they were the SDA-36 and a SDA-86 which were the fixed sight guns but they were marked "Security Six".

I have never heard of or seen a 6" Speed Six.

choirboy

Bearcat
I think there was a 5" Service Six made for the RCMP. I believe it was in .38 special.
14e30v6.jpg

VinnieBoomBah said:
6" 154-xxxxx Security Six that looks like it was rode easy and put away wet.

To me, that is a good candidate for a refurbishment and Cerakote. If I saw one like that on Gunbroker and it wasn't going for much I would buy it in a heartbeat and fix it up almost like new (Cerakote instead of reblue) and it would last someone several lifetimes.

VinnieBoomBah

Bearcat
RoninPA said:
VinnieBoomBah said:
6" 154-xxxxx Security Six that looks like it was rode easy and put away wet.

To me, that is a good candidate for a refurbishment and Cerakote. If I saw one like that on Gunbroker and it wasn't going for much I would buy it in a heartbeat and fix it up almost like new (Cerakote instead of reblue) and it would last someone several lifetimes.

I got it for $349.00 out the door 8)

bogus bill

Hunter
I was a lockheed aircraft factory guard. We were issued 4" .357 stainless speed six`s with a round butt. I suppose they went to auto`s long ago as I retired in 2,000.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Your photos of the 6 inch are clear and good, that piece is obviously wearing the signs and marks of its history. Relish it.