Anniversary Blackhawk 357 no-drill scope mount?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bittereinder

Bearcat
I've searched here and other forums, elsewhere online, and asked Weigand, and have not found an option for a no-drill scope mount for the Anniversary Blackhawk 357.

I realize the answer might be "better to scope a different revolver", and that there are just too few of these anniversary models to make it worth the time for Weigand or others to make them. But if there is an option, it's something I'd like to consider. If anyone can point me towards a manufacturer that makes one, please let me know, thanks.

Rclark

Hunter
The frame is a medium frame (same as the original OM .347). Same as the .44 Special/.45 Colt Flattops, New Vaqueros. The NM BHs/SBhs are large frame.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
There is a model of the reflex sight mount from Raptor engineering (sold on this site and on eBay) that allows a reflex sight to be mounted on a Flattop without drilling. Not a scope but a neat way to mount a dot sight. I am sitting here holding the package for one (not the flattop version) to mount on one of my Ruger. Their E bay add says to specify a Flat top when you place the order. They have a web site.

bittereinder

Bearcat
Thanks for your replies. I'm not positive about the Wheeler 301 because it just says "Blackhawk", and if it's like the Weigand, then it will only fit the new model non-flat-top. I sent a question about this to Weaver.

I'd probably prefer the flexibility of a rail, but the Raptor Engineering mount is also a good option.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Since you posted I have mounted my Raptor engineering mount on my OM Blackhawk and put a Burris fast fire 111 on it. I have not shot it yet. My impression is that it will be fine for the lightweight reflex sight. It does not seem like a mount that would take a lot of beating around or carry a scope. It does make a very neat, easy way to put a dot site on a Blackhawk. I plan to do some ammo testing and some testing to see how much of my bad groups are from the sights and then put the iron sights back on it. I will probably then move the Burris and the mount to a .357 that has a heavy Leupold mount and rings and a Ultra dot one it now.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Update: The Reflex sight and the sight base departed the gun on the 4 th shot. It seems the screw was not long enough and it broke a thread. A real disappointment to me since for 4 shots the sight picture was perfect. Not sure if I am going to pursue it further with a different screws or just decide the recoil is excessive for a one screw mount. I really do not want to do any more damage to the threads in the gun. And the screw length has to be short enough not to hit the cylinder. So I just put the original sight back on it.

bittereinder

Bearcat
woodperson said:
Update: The Reflex sight and the sight base departed the gun on the 4 th shot. It seems the screw was not long enough and it broke a thread. A real disappointment to me since for 4 shots the sight picture was perfect. Not sure if I am going to pursue it further with a different screws or just decide the recoil is excessive for a one screw mount. I really do not want to do any more damage to the threads in the gun. And the screw length has to be short enough not to hit the cylinder. So I just put the original sight back on it.

Thanks for clarifying that. It seems that there just isn't a no-drill scope option for this revolver.