Unloading OA cylinders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
We have a loaded, unprimed, cylinder that's been sitting for years. What is the best way to unload them other than firing? I could fire them but what is in there is unknown.

Thank you

gunzo

Hunter
Compressed air. A rubber tip on the end of a blow gun pressed against the nipple might do it, or unscrew the nipples & try it that way.

eveled

Hawkeye
A grease gun generates a lot of pressure, without the stored energy of compressed air.

JFB

Hunter
Just my thinking (as I don't have a OA)
But here goes.

can the nipples be unscrewed, the powder shacken out and a non sparking rod tap the balls out?

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Years ago I purchased a CO2 device to remove a ball from a muzzle loader. It is used mainly when someone loads a ball but forgot the powder! Never happens to you? Well, shoot enough BP and it will eventually. It fits over the nipple and then triggers a charge from the CO2 cartridge to remove the ball by blowing it out the muzzle. Handy....ask me how I know. David

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
I think I will try the air first given I have that readily. I was going to ramp up the air pressure to limit the pop when the ball gives. That said, a screw in the ball would probably work as well. We will see how it goes. Thanks for the good info!

k22fan

Blackhawk
I have never pulled a muzzle loader bullet that could be fired nor have I seen anyone else do so. No reason has been given for pulling the bullets out of this Old Army cylinder except its owner's unease with firing it. Old Armys can be safely loaded with compressed charges of every black powder and black powder substitute sold to date so the unease is not justified. The worst that can happen is the cap might blow back into the firing pin channel. Caps do that occasionally. It's an annoyance, not a hazard. One way or the other the cylinder will have to cleaned. Cleaning the barrel and frame does not add much work. I recall emptying a T/C Hawken the day after the deer season ended by shooting a crow with it. It was a little more lead than needed for a crow but a lot more fun than pulling the Maxi Ball. Wouldn't shooting that Old Army be more fun?

That said, in my experience all hunters and muzzle loading rifle target shooters carry a drill & screw type ball puller in their kit. I have not seen anyone forget the powder but damp charges that will not easily light are a familiar sight. Usually the dampness is from not drying the bore adequately after cleaning between groups of shots. Those are normally shot out by poking a wire through the flash channel and putting a little FFFFg black powder under the nipple. It is very uncommon for that to not work but we keep the little ball pullers in our kits just in case. I did use mine at the range a couple of times and I think it would work in a revolver cylinder if you have to. Authors have written about the compressed air method for a very long time but usually compressors are not available at ranges. Since every one has an old fashioned ball puller for the field very few shooters bother hauling a compressor to the range to handle a very uncommon event.

JFB said:
can the nipples be unscrewed, the powder shacken out and a non sparking rod tap the balls out?

This would be the easiest.

I've done it several times, including on a Pietta "rescue" project where the previos owner had soaked the cylinder in water to "deactivate" the powder (his words), then set the cylinder on a shelf for a couple of years!

Brass rod from the hardware store would make this a safe/easy proposition.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I wish I could have seen Bill Ruger and Harry Sefried fire the Old Army with a cylinder filled with Bullseye! Page 126 in "Ruger and His Guns". They tested it and the strong Ruger held! Interesting reading ,, by R.L.Wilson

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
k22fan said:
I have never pulled a muzzle loader bullet that could be fired nor have I seen anyone else do so. No reason has been given for pulling the bullets out of this Old Army cylinder except its owner's unease with firing it. Old Armys can be safely loaded with compressed charges of every black powder and black powder substitute sold to date so the unease is not justified. The worst that can happen is the cap might blow back into the firing pin channel. Caps do that occasionally. It's an annoyance, not a hazard. One way or the other the cylinder will have to cleaned. Cleaning the barrel and frame does not add much work. I recall emptying a T/C Hawken the day after the deer season ended by shooting a crow with it. It was a little more lead than needed for a crow but a lot more fun than pulling the Maxi Ball. Wouldn't shooting that Old Army be more fun?

That said, in my experience all hunters and muzzle loading rifle target shooters carry a drill & screw type ball puller in their kit. I have not seen anyone forget the powder but damp charges that will not easily light are a familiar sight. Usually the dampness is from not drying the bore adequately after cleaning between groups of shots. Those are normally shot out by poking a wire through the flash channel and putting a little FFFFg black powder under the nipple. It is very uncommon for that to not work but we keep the little ball pullers in our kits just in case. I did use mine at the range a couple of times and I think it would work in a revolver cylinder if you have to. Authors have written about the compressed air method for a very long time but usually compressors are not available at ranges. Since every one has an old fashioned ball puller for the field very few shooters bother hauling a compressor to the range to handle a very uncommon event.

I'd fire them off, but I don't know what's in them and they have been sitting for upwards of 20 yrs. Presume BP, but I have no idea.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
They are all unloaded and cleaned up. Thanks for tips! After getting years of crud off I see that three of the four have 704 on them and one does not. I know Ruger usually electro penciled the serial number on factory fitted cylinders but these are hard stamped. Any ideas why they might be numbered?

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Dixie Gun Works sells a universal unloader that uses CO2 cartridges.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8924/category_id/332/category_chain/578,349,332/product_name/MT0515+UNIVERSAL+UNLOADER+KIT

I shoot with the North-South Skirmish Association. The team events are breaking targets in the shortest amount of time. During the national events, the ordnance folks have scuba tanks for unloading muzzle loaders. In the heat of competition, it is easy to forget to pour the powder down the barrel. Or the fire channel becomes clogged. Or someone got their powder wet or oily.

The cheapest removal would be to remove nipples, shake out the powder and then flood the chambers with oil and then tap the balls or bullets out with a brass or other non sparking rod.