I have sinned.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
I always said I would never buy a new Smith and Wesson with the horrible key lock. And until today, I was true to that statement. I been wanting a DA .44 Mag. Now guys, I am as big a Ruger fan as ever was. And I have owned both Redhawks and Super Redhawks. The Redhawks grip, I just could never find anything that suited me with that grip! Best thing I ever found was the stock grips with a Tyler T adapter, but it would twist in my hand while shooting it. I tried Houges, Pachmyers, every grip I could find! None of them felt right. The Super is just too friggin big, and kind of ugly to my eyes. The barrel looks like a piece of pipe sticking out of the frame! What I have wanted for many years was a Redhawk with the Supers grip stud and lock work, but don't look like Ruger listens to me. And I used to have a Smith 629 that I loved, pre-lock and everything, but in a weak moment sold it. Now they want ridiculous prices for those. So, I broke down and bought a new Smith 629, with 4 inch barrel. I have always wanted one in that barrel length. It sure don't feel, look, or even sound like that old Smith I used to own. But, it's in the size I wanted, with the barrel length I wanted, so I bit the bullet so to speak. I have already seen where they sell a plug to replace the lock, and I will more than likely go that route. Gonna shoot it tomorrow and see if I am gonna be grossly disappointed, or happy with it. (If the lock don't lock up on me that is! LOL)

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
Gunman don't feel like the lone ranger. I just bought a 29-2 61/2 bl that i been wanting one for a long time price was right so i jump at it. I've been a along time ruger guy for yrs and always will.

bogus bill

Hunter
Top, a model 27-2 5" and bottom a 29-2 5". Had them both almost 50 years. Had smith engrave my name in gold on it after I bought it. Probably ruined the value to others as I never got famous. Saves on holsters though.

Gunman, I hope you enjoy it. I started life as a Smith man, and Lord knows I have given them a lot of chances. The nice thing about revolvers, is that you can change grips and I've done that as well. My experience with Smiths is how much they flip up. My favorite Smith is the 629-4. The -4 has the firing pin on the hammer which I like, but that started before the -4 came out. However, the -4 started with the "enhanced" package and holds the cylinder tighter and deeper. Makes it a stronger gun. After a lot of years I've gone to Rugers. I hope you have more luck than I have. We have the same taste, I really like the 4" barrel. It appeals to my eye.

If you decide you like the gun then I would get rid of the lock and fill in the hole. I know of guns that lock up but with the bigger, heavier guns, it's not as often, but can happen. One of my 629's gave up on me and had to replace a couple of parts on it, and that's with a load that the Rugers would chew up and spit out. But (and my memory's not as good on this) I believe it was before the enhancement package. The friend that I sold it to after that never used it that much and it's still working out for him. I was using a 328 grain HC with gc and 21.5 grains of H110. Before using that please check a book, because that is purely from memory and my memory is not my best point these days. I really hope you enjoy your gun. I know it's a disappointment when it doesn't go the way we visualize.

Most of those years I lived in Alaska and felt more comfortable with the heavier loads. Two things have happened since then, one is I moved to Idaho where you don't run into the bigger animals with the same frequency and the other is I've developed some arthritis in my knuckles. Just pick a load that is comfortable for you and I'm sure you will like it. No reason to go over 900 fps at some point because the game just isn't that big where you are at. No reason to go with heavier bullets and it will shoot flatter for you, to knock over some deer. Enjoy.

I hope we're not so closed minded that a feller can't own or shoot any brand of revolver, even on this Ruger Forum. :mrgreen:

I've owned quite a few Redhawks, and I've professed the most accurate .44 magnum I've ever shot was my Super Redhawk. That said, I never liked it or any of my other Redhawks. Just too big and bulky. That said also, my most comfortable shooting and controllable .44 is a S&W 629. But I almost never shoot it either, as I just plain prefer a shorty Super Blackhawk. Go figure. :?

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have my share of S&W revolvers from .22 through 45Colt. I like the older (no lock) guns. I do own one with a "Hillary Hole", it's a 686 chambered in 38 Super. It loads with moon clips and has a really smooth action. I just haven't been tempted enough by anything since trading for that one to acquire another one (with a lock).

If they made a Heritage line chambered in .32H&R or .327 Fed like in a model 16, then I would probably have to get one. I'm not holding my breath. :roll:

I have both Rugers and Smiths. I like them both. I have long ago left the S&W Forum behind. This place just felt like home so I have stuck with it.

I hope you enjoy the new purchase and get years of faithful service from it.

32Magfan

gunman42782

Hunter
I got to shoot it today, despite a small ice storm last night, and dodging trees in the road on the way to the range. It was still raining, so I didn't bother putting it on paper, just put my steel target out at 25 yards. Never missed it in 56 rounds. (50 lead 240 grain SWC, 6 240 JHPs) Good enough. I really am not crazy about the grips that came on it, or the wide target trigger, which is fine in SA mode, but not so great DA. Other than that though, I am pretty happy with it.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
Beautiful hand guns! What Bogus Bill posted also got my attention, was the flooding knife. Care to tell us about it? The handle looks like it was done by Ghost-town, Navigo from New Mexico.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I own more S&W revolvers than Rugers...S&W had the DA revolver perfected long before Ruger ever got into the game.... :roll:

I like S&W revolvers. I like Ruger DA's as well. I don't care about the manufacture. I look for what meets my needs. Ergonomics, function and purpose. While I own a number of Ruger and Smiths, my favorite for general purpose use capable of stout 357 loads is a 4" 686. For heavier requirements a 5" 629 fits the bill. And for a carry piece when carrying a rifle or shotgun my go to revolver is a 4.2" SP101 357 and meets most of my needs.

Due to thumb issues SA revolvers in 357 and larger calibers are too painful. So, the above listed DA's meet my needs for revolvers.

Dave

deac45

Single-Sixer
I too have been longing for Ruger to bring out a Redhawk with the Super's grip frame. Had a Redhawk once but had the same problems trying to find the right grip. Got real interested in the GP100 when it came out in 44 Special but prefer at least a 4" barrel and stainless. Then along came the S&W 69. Since my preferred 44 Mag loads run somewhere between a light magnum/heavy special power level, this gun is ideal for me. Still developing a favorite load but so far I've been pleased with the accuracy potential it's showing.

Deac45

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I'm wondering why all the worry about the "look" of a SRH whilst acknowledging the superior trigger and grip. I think the real sin is going for fashion over function.

bogus bill

Hunter
The knife I showed is a David Yellowhorse. It`s basically a Buck knife that he embellished. The blade is chipped like a flint knife or arrowhead. I own mostly classic old smiths followed by colts and then three rugers plus a ruger rifle. A 77 in 7x57 mauser. The rugers are a like new 5 1/2" single six, a 4 5/8 single six in .32 H&R mag and a Lipsey special Blackhawk .44 special 5 1/2".

[URL=http://s99.photobucket.com/user/feralmerril/media/Ruger65004687.jpg.html]
Ruger65004687.jpg
[/URL]

Latest posts