Which Grips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Vince from MO

Bearcat
A friend has a Ruger Single Six .22 Magnum Only. Which factory grips came out on this revolver? I don't have the Serial Number, but can get it if necessary.

Thanks,
Vince

Early ones had the black hard rubber ( plastic) XR-3, and up to around the #335,xxx range , have to check the RENE for a better number cutoff, then they went to the XR-3 RED and they had walnuts, black eagles and black hardware ( screw and escutcheons)...........

street

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
Does your friend have the box? The Cat. # on the box will tell us which grips it came with.

But like Dan posted, after 1962 they'll all be walnut XR3-RED (slightly larger) grips.
Hondo! The box will only have RSSM on it and will be the same for Walnut or Hard Rubber. After 1960 they started putting a small brown sticker next to the cat. number stating with Walnut Grips, as walnut grips became standard, even though they still shipped the Mag. only and other Single-Sixes with Hard Rubber grips. I guess they were getting rid of what was in stock.. Maybe this brown sticker is what you are talking about. And yes after the XR3-RED grip frame came into being only Walnut was used.

Now the Shipping box will have the complete catalog number. If it has RSSMW then it will have Walnut grips. If it has RSSMR then it will have hard rubber grips. If it has RSSMX then it will be a convertible and could have hard rubber or walnut. You would have to have the receipt and the Walnut grips will be $1.00 more then the Hard Rubber grips.

street said:
Hondo44 said:
Does your friend have the box? The Cat. # on the box will tell us which grips it came with.

But like Dan posted, after 1962 they'll all be walnut XR3-RED (slightly larger) grips.
Hondo! The box will only have RSSM on it and will be the same for Walnut or Hard Rubber. After 1960 they started putting a small brown sticker next to the cat. number stating with Walnut Grips, as walnut grips became standard, even though they still shipped the Mag. only and other Single-Sixes with Hard Rubber grips. I guess they were getting rid of what was in stock.. Maybe this brown sticker is what you are talking about. And yes after the XR3-RED grip frame came into being only Walnut was used.

Now the Shipping box will have the complete catalog number. If it has RSSMW then it will have Walnut grips. If it has RSSMR then it will have hard rubber grips. If it has RSSMX then it will be a convertible and could have hard rubber or walnut. You would have to have the receipt and the Walnut grips will be $1.00 more then the Hard Rubber grips.
My Magnum only box has a sticker with showing 'walnut grips'.
0PZdzu7h.jpg

Vince from MO

Bearcat
Sorry to take so long to get back. I appreciate all of the information. Just got the serial number of this revolver. It is 3213XX. Does it need the hard rubber? Is there more than 1 model of these?

Thanks to all that replied!

Vince