Single Six cylinder questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have a blue New Model Single Six. It came with a fluted blue .22LR cylinder and a non fluted stainless steel .22 magnum cylinder.
They both work in the gun.
I would like to get a blue .22 magnum cylinder to match the gun.
My preference would be to trade my stainless one for a blue one.
My questions are,
Can I get a blue fluted .22 magnum cylinder to fit it or are they all non fluted ?
Are all .22 magnum cylinders the same ?
If not how can I be sure it will fit my gun ?

Thanks

street

Hunter
Blue new model .22 Mag. cylinders were fluted till sometime in 1975. So yes you can get a blue fluted mag. cylinder to fit your gun. You can also find an Old Model fluted mag. cylinder to fit your gun. As in both cases you need to have the over all length of the cylinder to match your old cylinder.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
What street posted!

The cylinder you want, either NM (up to 1975) or OM are the same. But all cyls vary a few thousandths in total overall length. You'll not likely find an exact match to the length of yours, therefore look for one a few thousandths longer than yours so you can file the gas seal hub at the front of the cyl to match the length of your .22 LR cyl and to fit your frame.

You can offer your SS cyl as a trade in this forum's classifieds section and state the length you need.
.22 cyl overall lengths are in the 1.622" + or - range. They sell for ~$75 to $100. A bit more for SS.

If that doesn't find you a cyl swap. Find one on eBay or Gunbroker and sell yours there or in our classifieds section.